Our Reception

After our family and bridal party portraits, Andrew and I headed upstairs to meet our guests for our reception. We didn't have a fancy grand entrance to a picked out song but instead walked in to cheers and clapping from a room full of 97 of our loved ones. We also skipped seating our wedding party at a head table and instead opted for a sweetheart table. The members of our bridal party sat throughout the rooms with friends and significant others while Andrew and I sat in a position to be able to see each and every person who was there with us that day. As we walked into the room we made our way over to cut our cake while there was a bit of sunlight still streaming through the windows. Cutting our cake was sort of odd, as I kept thinking "Oh my gosh, you're cutting a wedding cake, Rhi! On your wedding day, in a wedding dress!" I am so silly sometimes.


Funny story, I was so worried that our incredibly perfect cake would fall apart when we cut into it that I told Andrew we had to cut nice and slow to get the most perfect piece. Except the piece we cut was so tiny - like an awkward looking semi triangle - that when we went to serve it onto our plate we couldn't get it out from the remainder of the tier. Turns out I was trying to serve the piece of cardboard that was in between the top and middle tiers; Andrew had to let me know that the cardboard wasn't going anywhere and I had to put our server underneath the piece of cake instead. I think our 'cutting of the cake' took at least a good seven minutes.

Then when we went in for the customary 'feeding each other cake' move, my loving new husband decided he'd try a bite of our cake himself first, and my goodness I was not impressed with that! I think I may have even sneaked a bite myself too just because he sneaked a bite so I would too. Here's a little series showing what followed next. I love our expressions in the photos!


My Dad said Grace for us, and started it out the same way we've done it for years in our home: "Dear Baby Jesus," and guests couldn't stop laughing. I just love my Dad so much. Without him our reception wouldn't have been as touching, heartfelt, sweet and memorable.


We ate dinner, had a little wine (and by little I mean Andrew had a glass and I drank water; since there was no way I was going to risk drinking too much, forgetting anything and feeling yucky in the morning) and we even were able to make it around to each and every table. Andrew started on one side of the room and I on the other and we each went to every one of the 10 tables to greet and chat with our friends and family. I loved being to do that since our cocktail hour was spent taking photos.

Then we enjoyed some toasts and had the pleasure of listening to my Dad's speech. Which will forever remain as the most special thing he has done for me. It's was really long and involved multiple props most of which were my childhood stuffed animals. But the kicker was the doll-like-stuffed-toy that was found at the Goodwill by my Mother and turned into a mini replica of Andrew thanks to my Grandpa, Dad and Maria, a family friend, who even found Nike running shoes like the ones Apb wears and a plastic golf club that they attached to the doll as the conclusion to the speech. My Dad - and that doll - stole the show. And I was one very appreciative and happy bride. With a tummy that hurt from laughing. The expression on some of our guests faces were simply priceless.


We also wore these buttons...


And we danced and twirled to Van Morrison's Into the Mystic.


And then my Dad and I danced. To My Girl by the Temptations. After all I'm his only daughter and was born in the month of May. 


And Andrew and his mom danced too. To Unforgettable, by Nat King Cole. And I fell in love with him all over again. I am such a lucky girl.


What was the best part of your reception?

29 Lovely Comments:

Sarah said...

Into the Mystic was our first dance song too! :) I love Van. Your pictures are so gorgeous.

Jidhu Jose said...

gorgeous shots

Liesl said...

How lovely, and I love that you opted for a sweetheart table...I'm doing the same! Your cake is beautiful, simple and elegant, just like I hope to have...and it looks like it stayed together quite well! ;) Thank you again for all that you are sharing, it is so wonderful to read and helpful being a bride-to-be! :) Loved your song choice for your dad too...perfect!

Liesl :)

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I'm a little teary-eyed reading the sweet details of your father-daughter dance. So precious! And I am so in love with that sash! It's so beautiful!

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

The sparklers at the end were my favorite. Your reception was beautiful. Very sweet.

Blicious said...

so so so so precious!!!

xoxo
b

Mel {The Oceanside Bride} said...

Wow! Everything was beautiful! That dress and sash are gorgeous!!

Alicia@CharityWedding said...

You were a beautiful bride! I love the sash you wore!

Emma said...

I want to dance to that song too with my Dad! Although he has another two daughters...and I'm not born in the month of May lol

Unknown said...

Awww how sweet! My dad and I had a fun dance adn I'll never forget it:-) I had sooo much fun!

Loved your pics:-)

Erin said...

eeek! adorable!

Whim Wham Life said...

Lovely! I'm pretty sure your dad and my dad would be great friends. (My dad was the little ham at our wedding and totally busted a move on the dance floor during our father/daughter dance). xoxo

April {April Foster Events} said...

I love that you are sharing each part of your wedding in so much detail! I love "reliving" it with you :)

Megan said...

stop it. i can't take the amazingness anymore. it hurts my eyes. too much beauty.

Melissa Hare said...

I can't get enough of your dress..and those earings! Stunning. Your photos are wonderful!

Brooke T said...

oh my goodness what an amazing wedding!! I am so nervous for the wedding cake part haha. I do not like having attention in the first place. I don't even dance? Hows that going to work? haha. Your dad seems like such a sweet guy and you're lucky to have him as your father :D

Unknown said...

i love the photo of you two dancing to into the mystic. absolute perfection!! love your wedding.

Jess said...

The Team Bride and Team Groom buttons are SO creative! I love it!

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

I am loving how you are telling us about every piece of your wedding! I wish we had followed your lead and done a first look. We missed the first hour {almost hour and a half} of our reception because of pictures :(

Favorite part of my reception...I have a large extended family on my mom's side {she's one of five girls}. It's become a tradition when one of us gets married that the aunts/girl cousins sing to the groom. I had totally forgotten about that and unbeknownst to me, my cousins, aunts and Jason's sister had pulled together a routine to "Any Man of Mine". It was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

You look so gorgeous and I love all of your little touches! Thanks for sharing!! xo

k said...

awww this gave me goosebumps, the pictures are so so pretty!!

Nikki said...

Your 'team' buttons are adorable. If got married now my Husband's would say team bride and mine would say team Edward ;)

Honestly I loved the Mother/Son dance. I could tell my MIL was so proud of my Husband and although my Hubby hates the spotlight, he did it for his Mother.

Lori said...

Love, Love, Love Rhi. I enjoyed every single minute of our reception but the moment that stands out for me was our last waltz which was I'm Taking you Home by Don Henley ~ Trev held me so close and had tears in his eyes. What a wonderful memory....

Oh, My Darling said...

Aww, loving all the candid moments of happiness captured in these pictures!

Marcie said...

You were stunning! My hair was very similar to yours :). I am still waiting for my wedding photos to arrive so I can share them with you. :)

M

Marcie said...

Oh, and the best part of the reception was when my uncle (in his 60s and super hairy) was dancing with all my college friends and took his shirt off! I have the BEST photo of it.

:) M

Ashley said...

aw the shots of andrew are priceless. he looks like he loves his mom so much!

Michaela said...

I always love the Father of the Bride's speech (: And that photo of you two dancing where Andrew is dipping you is breath-taking!

Anonymous said...

Haha! I love how your dad started off grace with "Dear Baby Jesus..." That is so awesome.

The best part of our reception was when my family (and just my family) danced to this Indian love song called Tunak Tunak Tun by Daler Mehndi. We even tried to do all the moves from the music video because we're just that cool.