DIY Wedding Bouquet


Guys, not that I'm one to toot my own horn or anything but I seriously love this little gem of a bouquet. More so, I'm rather impressed with how pretty it turned out considering I have no previous floral experience or know-how when it comes to putting together a bunch of blooms. Can any of you brides out there please use these colours for your own wedding? I may have a new fave palette, lemme tell you. Below are some photos from my little DIY adventure and as always, a slight disclaimer about this tutorial; I am not a professional, and I am confident there is a correct way quite different from my way, to make a proper bouquet. However I am a firm believer that DIY sort of tosses out all means of professionalism and right-way-of-doing-things-ness out the door because after all, you're doin it by yo-self. So here's how I did it.


{Step 1} First things first, get your flowers from a flower market; they'll be cheaper. Then once you've picked your flowers for the bouquet, remove all leaves and thorns from the stems using your hands. Be careful not to pull apart parts of the base stem or flowers as you pull the leaves off. Lay out your blooms on your work station by type (roses with roses, carnations with carnations) as it'll be easier to see what you're working with when you construct the bouquet.

{Step 2} For blooms like lisianthus or spray roses where their stems are more delicate or there are multiple sprigs off of one stem, I used green floral table to fasten the stems together. I found this helped the multiple blooms on one stem sort of stick together and stand up straighter once they were clustered together with the other stems. Lisianthus blooms are so thin and tend to droop a little so this really helped with keeping them fresh looking.

{Step 3} For some of the thicker stemmed flowers like any type of rose, I used long floral wire strands to reinforce the stems. I started at the top of the stem closest to the flower and wrapped the wire strands down and around the stem. But after wiring a few roses I realized that most stems were either strong enough on their own that they didn't need wiring, or they were too delicate that the stems were snapping when I did try to wire them (which was the case with the lone daisy I had). Essentially I found that this step could have been left out.


{Step 4} Figure out what flowers you'd like to make up the center/middle of your bouquet. I used a garden rose, two regular pink roses, a carnation and a lisianthus. Using green floral tape I secured the stems of these flowers together making sure the bouquet had the basic shape I was after. You'll need to really hold on to the stems tightly as the secnd you loosen up your grip you risk losing the shape you had secured. Also be aware that floral tape is rather delicate.

{Step 5} Continue adding more of your blooms to the basic structure you've created, filling in holes and spaces as you feel fit. I added three to five blooms each time before stopping and securing them with floral tape to the base. since I wanted a really texturized feel, I tried to add in different shapes and heights of flowers/greenery to the middle of the bouquet. Continue to add your flowers until all of your blooms are taped to the base.


{Step 6} Using floral wire, tightly wrap the base of all of the taped together stems (this made the stems bundle closer to one another than they would have been had I just of used the floral tape). After the wire was added around the taped together stems, I went back around the spiraled wire with floral tape to sort of smooth out the surface. I added almost three layers of floral tape to make sure everything was perfectly in tact. 

{Step 7} Using floral pins or corsage pins with pearl-heads, I fastened two pieces of fabric to the stems, pushing the pins into the stems upwards. I used six pins to secure the fabric making sure to leave a few inches of bare stems at the bottom. I then used white rope to tied a bow around the pink fabric which was used to hide the floral tape and wire, in lieu of traditional ribbon. Et voila!


Whatcha think, friends? Happy flowering! xoxo

42 Lovely Comments:

Brooke T said...

AHH!!! You don't understand how much I love this post!! I love that you used fabric. Why haven't I even thought of that? I might just have to make my own now thanks to you! Floral arranging sounds so fun with all of the pretty colors :)

Kimber said...

This is gorgeous! Love the dreamsicle orange color! I may tackle my own bouquets after this post! Great job, Rhi.

The fabric is perfect. love the pattern.

Marsinah {mar-see-na} said...

I like the fabric accent! pretty bouquet ;)

Michaela said...

So beautiful! Love the color combo. I'm really loving the peach color!

Free Pretty Things For You said...

aw you used one of my FAVORITE blooms-Lisianthus!

SO Gorgeous my dear!

Unknown said...

OOOO, that IS super pretty! I love the fabric. Glad you posted it!

Lisa said...

This looks completely professional!! I can't wait to try it...thanks so much for the tutorial, girl! Hope you're having a great weekend :)
Lisa

Taylor said...

What a beautiful DIY. I love your blog so much, and I;m not planning a wedding anytime soon. But when I do, your blog is my #1 stop! I love this bouquet. your arrangement is abslutely stunning. I love the light hues...the peachy oranges, pale pinks, and off-whites. Absolutely stunning!!!

Jenny said...

What gorgeous flowers and a crafty, beautiful DIY bouquet! LOVE!!

Megan said...

obsesssssssssssssssed with those colors. well done oh talented one.

Keri said...

So beautiful and you may have just inspired my wedding colors :)

Anonymous said...

So beautiful!!! Thanks for the inspiration. :]

Anonymous said...

This is such a great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing this!
Hope you had a great weekend!

xoxo, Ana
My (Newly)Wed Life

Jennifer Rose said...

that is so pretty :D i love the colours!

Naomi Goodman said...

Genius and beautiful. You did this post on my special day! You rock!xo

Liesl said...

What a fun and helpful DIY, just darling, and I love the colors!

On a side note, blogger seems to have deleted my link to your blog! I just noticed today that some of my "Radiant Reads" are no longer and this is just not acceptable...off to put you back where you belong! LOL!!!

Liesl :)

jessica // union shore said...

gorgeous!! i'm loving the colors!! and the fabric wrap is super cute too!!

Brancoprata said...

Yay i can finaly comment again! Blogger is being Nice to me today. The bouquet looks lovely!

Colleen / Inspired to Share said...

This is gorgeous! Lovely photos. Pink and yellow are perfect for spring. Especially love the rope tied around the jar! xo

Aleah + Nick Valley said...

Darling! This is a great post and lovely bouquet!

Erin Walsh Design said...

OMG! I Greek Key fabric wrapped bouquet. Genius!

jessica lynn said...

this looks so great! wonderful tutorial too!

Emily said...

I love this. Thanks for sharing.
x

Erin said...

cannot tell you how much i LOVE this!!!

Unknown said...

Super cute Rhiannon!

ASHLEY said...

love this! I wanna make one for myself!

Jenna Lee said...

These colors are beautiful! I love the bright look of this bouquet!

iheartkiwi said...

LOVE the fabric choice... and that color palette is just gorgeous!

Beautiful!

christine, just bella said...

That rope detail is just perfect :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Ummmmmm, my sis is getting married next December...I sure wish I had your skills to make her something like this. It's freaking amazing!

Ashley said...

looks oh so vineyard vines inspired if you ask me. ;-) nicely done!

ashley nicole catherine said...

this is SO gorgeous!! want to do mine? ;)

xo.ashley

Victoria said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, I love the color combination!

A Crimson Kiss said...

I'm in LOVE.

natasha {schue love} said...

L-O-V-E this post...such a beautiful bouquet and the addition of this fabric is so pretty!

Paloma said...

you did an INCREDIBLE job! wowzers! i l-o-v-e the bouquet wrap and the rope was such a nice touch!

The Little Flapper said...

Beautiful spring boquet♥

clearlytangled said...

lovely! my wedding palette was actually pink and orange. i love the combination. playing florist is always loads of fun.

BeeBeeBisous said...

This is absolutely gorgeous - like a summer sunrise :) I want a piece of art in these colors.

Kate/MagnoliaRouge said...

So pretty... those colours are divine! Great job!

Alexandra @ bWed Exclusive said...

First, you did a fabulous job on this, Rhi! Second, those colors are positively divine!!!

Nicole-Lynn said...

Super cute and simple! Love!