The Expert Files {All About Veils}


When I first started wedding planning, I was pretty adamant I wouldn't dare wear a veil on our wedding day. Yet the minute I placed one on my little head I was instantly smitten; and for a while contemplated buying the veil first, and then the dress second since I first found this stunner of a mantilla. Then I ended up buying a different veil a year before our wedding only to return it to buy a cathedral weeks before the big day, then last minute exchanged it for the lace-trimmed fingertip veil you've all seen in my photos. Sigh. It's official I love veils. And with that I am extremely excited to welcome the gorgeous (yeah that's her above, be jealous) and talented Tessa Kim to the blog to spill anything and everything veil-related. Read on for more, below!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

{Tell me about you and your business} I created my business when I was planning my own DIY 2009 August wedding to my lovely husband Choon. I really just fell into it though when I was looking for the perfect birdcage veil and fascinator and was not having any luck. I'm a crafty person so I started making a few different styles of veils and flowers fascinators which brought me to etsy since I had many more veils than I actually needed and I thought I would put them up for sale; just to see what would happen. They sold out the next day and from there I kept creating more and then slowly expanded the styles and options of my veils. I now carry a huge selection of birdcage veils, bridal veils, flower facinators, feather hair combs, head bands and dress sashes. All my headpieces and veils are hand dyed/painted and the headpieces are also hand cut/shaped with a vintage millinery iron. I also like to incorporate vintage millinery aspects to all of my pieces for a unique look.

{Should a bride pick her gown based off a veil or vice versa?} I think it depends on the individual bride. For myself, I knew I wanted to wear a birdcage veil no matter what so I made sure to find a dress that complimented that style. Although since there are so many types of veils and materials that can be used I believe you can always find a complimenting veil for any dress.

{Traditionally, what's the meaning behind a veil?} There are a few different meanings behind the classic bridal veil although it depends on who you ask. Some people believe that it was meant to represent the innocence of the bride, some believe that it is used to shield the beauty of the bride before the groom married her and others believe that it is bad luck for the groom to see the bride before exchanging vows. There are unlimited styles of veils like a birdcage, blusher, mantilla, flyaway and a traditional chapel, cathedral, fingertip, and elbow veil, that all offer different looks to compliment different gowns and weddings.

{What alternatives are there for brides who want a less traditional bridal look?} There are so many options for brides today who do not want to go the traditional route. A few of the choices would be a floral headpiece, a bridal hat, a tulle and veiling puff, a mini veil, a feather hair comb, a simple headband,  bridal hair pins, a simple rhinestone brooch comb, a decorative comb, even a decorative piece of lace. Right now I am in love with one of my newest floral headpieces "Grace." It's a double flower fascinator that is cream, blush and ivory in colour. It also has vintage millinery leaves from the 1940s which I just adore. 

{What trends are you predicting this summer and fall, and what do you believe will forever remain timeless?} I believe you will start to see a lot more colour being incorporated into bridal headpieces. I also believe the statement pieces will still be popular although complimented with smaller and more dainty hair combs. And it never goes out of style to be yourself and not always go with the trends. Make sure to be comfortable with the style of accessories you choose and truly love them :)


Thanks so much, Tessa for stopping by the blog! And all of you can check out Tessa's website and shop for more information, items and goodness. Top photos by Deyla Huss and product photos by Candice Benjamin.

18 Lovely Comments:

Jenna Lee said...

These are beautiful. I love the first one. So romantic.

HiLLjO said...

I just became obsessed with headpieces myself last week! Hers are just LOVELY.

I made 3 for myself. :oP
I get to wear them in 8 days!

Blicious said...

i love this post so much!!!! I went veil shopping with my best friend last night and it was so intense. it's all really happeneing!

xoxo
b

Unknown said...

I cannot imagine NOT wearing a veil, I just love them!! I knew I would want a long veil and on my wedding day wore the longest one possible, I LOVED it (in spite of the fact that my Mom stood on it before I got to the church and it tore a litle!!!)

Kinda feeling sad now thinking that I'll never wear a veil again!!! xx

k said...

wow, she has beautiful veils!!! if i were getting married now i would definitely have one like these!

Leah said...

Beautiful. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time deciding on a veil. I love them all!

xo L.

Unknown said...

I totally didn't think I wanted a veil either, and then I fell in love with a cathedral length for our ceremony and I have these gorgeous pics of it just drifting in the breeze. Great post!

wishful nals said...

these are all so gorgeous. the last one may be my favorite. so classic.

Deyla Huss Photography said...

Love love love!!!!

Unknown said...

so, so pretty.
lots of visions are now circling around in my head.


xoxo

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Tessa's creations are just all so lovely, I am especially smitten over the last image - love the combination of the silk tulle and the french tulle :) I too was pretty dead set that there would be no veil on my wedding day, and then they placed a cathedral length veil on my head and I was DONE :) Great post sweet Rhi! Oh! and I just got a new phone (finally) so we can be text buddies again. Will email you my new # now! :) yayee! xoxo Love you!

postcards and pretties said...

Tessa Kim's accessories are amazing! great interview!

A Crimson Kiss said...

Tessa's work is so stunning-that last birdcage stunner stopped me in my tracks!

Brooke T said...

These are all so beautiful. I'm not wearing a veil. I always thought I would, but once I put it on it just wasn't me. I can't wait to wear my flower though! ;)

Alisha said...

Her dress is gorgeous! Love her thoughts behind the veil. So sweet and simple.

Great expert feature, doll!

xoxo

Alicia@CharityWedding said...

I did not want a veil at all, when I tried them on I felt so awkward. However now whenever I see pictures of great veil shots or super cute birdcage veils I regret not looking into more options!

Colleen {Soundtrack To I Do} said...

So pretty!! I love veils. I mean when else are you going to wear one, right? I recently read an article about wedding traditions on CNN.com, and the author, Jenn Thompson, said "And that veil she's wearing? Yeah, that was so the groom wouldn't know if he was stuck with an uggo until it was time to kiss the bride and too late to back out on the transaction." Bahaha. Well regardless what they're for, they're lovely.

Blair McLeod said...

my veil is "one of those things" i wish i had done differently....