Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes & Dark Chocolate Ganache

Perfect Swirl

Introducing: A moist Pumpkin Spice Cupcake with Dark Chocolate Ganache frosting. So simple. so tasty. I love fall! You have to make these. I promise it will be worth your time. Your tasty buds will thank you. I love spices too. Such a small amount of spice can leave something tasting so nice. Aren't I hilarious? These cupcakes really got a great flavour from both the pumpkin and the mixture of all-spice, ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. I love autumn. Did I mention that yet?

IMG_8240

My tin is dirty. Very dirty. So dirty I am a little embarrassed. Please don't judge me.

IMG_8241

You know it's fall time when you break out the Pumpkin puree!

Pumpkin

The batter was nice and thick which made for an easy spooning process (spooning process? honestly who calls it that?) I only filled my wells about halfway up and the cupcakes were a nice shape once they were baked. A little more batter in each liner would have probably been perfect as I like when my cupcakes go right to the top edge of the liner. I am picky like that. I have high expectations for my cupcakes.

Batter

The result? Perfectly moist and springy cuppies. My entire kitchen spelled like Thanksgiving (we here in Canada celebrate Turkey Day BEFORE Hallowe'en in the beginning of October). The smells got me so excited for Turkey Day. Stuffing, turkey, freshly baked bread, squash, pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream, family, and memories. I can't wait. These cupcakes were the perfect precursor to the holidays.

Cooling Rack

The first bite was amazing. The top was very crispy but the inside was perfectly moist.

Bite

Now your mouth is drooling huh? For the ganache frosting you will need 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate and 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate. The bitter taste of the cocoa becomes interestingly sweet once melted and mixed with the sugar and cream and is the perfect compliment to the pumpkin spice flavour.

IMG_8320

When the ganache is made, you may need to keep in it the fridge for 15-20 minutes until it's firm and thick. If you don't the ganache will be liquid-like and only suitable for pouring over top of desserts. Since I wanted to pipe my ganache I had to firm it up in the fridge before whipping it with my electric mixture. The result was perfect and this stuff is good. And I mean your-belly-will-love-you-forever good.

IMG_8327

Something is missing though.

MMM what could it be? Wait for it....

Wait for it...

Ah there it is. A lovely little pecan so perfectly placed atop rich fluffy ganache.

Almond

IMG_8336

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
4 large eggs
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree

Chocolate Ganache
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup whole milk or whipping cream
1 tbsp vanilla if needed for sweetness

For the cupcakes, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and in a large bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powders, salt and spices. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine your sugars, eggs, melted butter and pumpkin puree until mixed well. Combine both mixtures together and if you find it hard to get the batter consistently combined, feel free to mix on low speed with your electric mixture just until smooth.

Divide evenly among your lined cupcake wells, about 3/4 of the way full. If you love the brown liners I use (I can't get enough of these things) check these out. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. I found 20 minutes was a minute or two too long but I love when my cupcakes are a tad slightly undercooked. I am a weirdo, I know!

For the ganache, place all of your chopped chocolate in a heat-safe bowl. In a saucepan, heat your cream over low heat until small bubbles start to form around the pot edges. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for a few minutes. Stir the chocolate consistently for a few minutes until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Add the butter and continue to stir until the butter is completely melted.

In a small bowl whisk together your milk (or cream) with the powdered sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt if you'd like a less sweet taste. This mixture will be thick and sticky. Add in a bit of vanilla for more sweetness and then combine with the chocolate mixture until perfectly smooth. Keep in the fridge for about 20 minutes until firm and then beat with a mixer to make fluffy and pipe-worthy. Pipe or frost as desired and cover cupcake at room temperature. Serve within 2 days for best taste. Enjoy!

31 Lovely Comments:

Gina said...

ummm yum! I have to try these very soon! I think i'm in love lol

Jennifer Rose said...

its a nice simple hair style that would look nice at a lot of places. def. mature looking :)

that is a gorgeous place to get married!

Encore Bride said...

Love these cupcakes, they've been bookmarked to my "must try" list. Congrats on your impending career and marriage, wow, you have a lot going on! Can't wait to hear more though, congratulations!!!

Tiffany said...

The cuppies look yummy as always :) I can totally see you with that haircut too...very chic and mature. And, I love the new wedding venue. It's beautiful! I had a total inexpensive backyard intimate wedding myself, so I get a little jealous when I see a beautiful spot like yours. LOL

theUngourmet said...

These are beautiful!

Well, I think you are so stunning that no matter how you decide to do your hair it will be marvelous!

Glad that the wedding plans are coming along! How exciting!

Thanks for all of your help with my header as well! :0)

Unknown said...

firstly... these look so yummy :) way better than you know who's!
secondly... you are a super model, shush
lastly... super excited for your wedding :)

Anonymous said...

If I hadn't stopped eating chocolate, I would be all over these. I'm glad that the contest is on for another week didn't afford any time for baking. Here's hoping for this week!

I'm sure your new hair will look great! Will you post pictures?

That is such a beautiful wedding location! I'm excited to read more about your wedding planning.

Rose said...

Ive just come across your delicious blog. This cupcakes sound so delicious! Ive never used pumpkin in anything sweet before, maybe i should start with these.

Rose

The Sweet Life Bakery Cafe said...

I entered too quick!! Didn't realize it would link me up so quick! But I'm creating and posting tomorrow!!!

The Sweet Life Bakery Cafe said...

Yours look fabulous by the way!!!

Suzi said...

Those cupcakes look absolutely wonderful. I will have to try them this week!

I BLEED PINK said...

Those cupcakes look so good and love the pecan at the end (great idea). Also, I think that hair cute will look very darling on you!! I also expect my invite to the wedding...I think its time I made a trip up there...LOL!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

1. I'm pretty sure I could kill a whole batch of those in time flat! Yum. 2. That Heidi cut is killer. 3. That venue is so gorg!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh. my. gosh. I can't believe I go out of town and miss all this!

The cupcakes look amazing...I love Fallish recipes. :) Such pretty icing!

Your wedding site looks fabulous...can't wait to hear more about it.

I also want to hear more about how you almost auditioned for SYTYCD. This has me intrigued....

sara cardon said...

Love, LOVE your blog!! I just discovered it and I am a total fan. These cupcakes look AMAZING-- I have been so in the mood for a pretty fall dessert, and these cupcakes will be perfect!!

Francis Family said...

Love that haircut! Do it! I cut mine off a while ago and loved it, then I missed my long locks so i've been growing it out forever. But I do miss the short cute style. But ya make sure you don't get to cutesy with the layers if you want that "sofisticated" look. I went to hairschool and so i'm constantly changing my hair! It comes with the territory! lol so fun and can't wait to see it. Yummy cupcakes too, as always!! Oh and cute cute place to get married, Love that style and the theme you are going for. I love weddings!

Lucy said...

Mmm these cupcakes look mighty fine! Delicious ganache :) Good Luck with your haircut!!

Ashley said...

#1 for about 4 years i've had long straight blonde hair, down the middle of my back. And in January of this year... I took that EXACT picture to my stylist and chopped it all of. And I looooove it. :-) Just some words of encouragement.

#2 do you have a non-chocolate idea for frosting that would compliment these delicious sounding cupcakes?

thanks!

CookiePie said...

YUM YUM YUM!!!! Pumpkin and chocolate is one of my favorite combos -- your cupcakes are so beautiful!

JennyMac said...

bellissima!!!! These look divine.

Donna-FFW said...

Those cupcakes loook gorgeous, almost as gorgeous as you!

kimcox said...

Those look great, I have been looking for something with pumpkin for a few days I think I will have to try this.

Just stopping in from sits to check out your blog.

Steph Jordan said...

Well you are definitely at Goddess level! :-) Have a wonderful Journey through life! And yum on the cupcakes. I have to break out my kitcheaide and get that recipe cooking!

Steph (via SITS)

Jessica said...

Oh my those cupcakes look DELICIOUS!

Stopping by from sits!

Bdubs said...

These cupcakes look delicious! I'm going to have to try to make these on the first rainy day of the month. I doubt mine will look nearly as pretty as yours though!

Stopping by from SITS.

Jenn Erickson said...

Rhi, Thanks for stopping by Rook No. 17 today. Your cupcakes sound heavenly too! I'm a big fan of the pumpkin/chocolate combo. I read somewhere (was it SITS?) that you were feeling under the weather. Hope you're feeling better today. Warmest wishes,
Jenn @rookno17.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

These sound incredibly yummy! The fact that they include chocolate? even better! Visiting from SITS. Hope you're having a good day!
pk @ room remix

Frugal Vicki said...

yummy! I stopped by from SITS, and now I am drooling! Those look SO good, and I love how you wrote about them. I don't know what your hair looked like before, but I think it looks supercute!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I am drooling over those cupcakes!

Jelli said...

I just found your blog and I love it! The combo of pumpkin and chocolate on those cuppies looks really tasty. I know what you mean about being mistaken for 16yr. I get the same thing often. Don't fret, we'll enjoy it later on, I'm certain.

Unknown said...

wow, you are an amazing cupcake maker!! i really love the cupcake tower you made for a wedding. do you do that for a living? if not, you should!