The Dessert Dresser, Part I

Dresser Part 1

Remember the time I pulled a little girl's dresser out of the trash? And remember when I proudly proclaimed that I planned to finish it in a pretty vintage white wash so come September 24th, we'd have a beautiful dresser to place our cake and treats on for guests? Well, with two months to go until the wedding, my Mom and I have decided to start this little project. So without further ado, I present to you, The Dessert Dresser, Part I.

Dresser Part 1
Really, it's not in terrible shape. However, if you were to compare this dresser to something out of a commercial store, then yes, it is a tad weathered, outdated, old and worn. But that's what I love about it and what caught my eye driving home from work months ago. In terms how the set-up I envision, the dresser is the perfect height for guests to be able to scout out the goodies, I am so excited to utilize those drawers and the mismatched handles are eclectic and funky. I may even buy some new knobs to spice things up.

Dresser Part 1

I am not too sure what type of finish the dresser currently has but my neighbor - the one who helped me with these and this - works at a home hardware store so we are planning on asking him for some guidance. We need to figure out how to strip this thing before painting it and vintaging-it up. For all you creative friends out there (you know who you are, you little refinishers-you!) what are your suggestions and helpful hints? And everyone else, do you see the potential here or have I yet to remove my wedding goggles? :)

Dresser Part 1

Here's Part II
Here's Part III
And here's the Final Product from our Wedding Day.

23 Lovely Comments:

apparentlyjessy said...

What a great find, I love how the dresser has different draw handles. I kind of like the beat up pale blue look, but I am sure it will also look lovely with a white wash! Good luck with it, I am afraid I have no info that could help!

Gracie said...

Ahh I want to re paint a few items so I too am curious on how to do it best.

What a fantastic find though! If I found anything as sweet as that I would definitely have done a dessert buffet table. :)

clearlytangled said...

oh what a great project! i'm sure you'll do a great job. looking forward to seeing the finished product.

becca said...

Oh man this is seriously cute! I would have left it exactly as-is...but that's probably not the style of your wedding, right?

Unknown said...

Love it! I have a chair I just picked up that I want to paint. You could just put a little wax on the blue and then paint white over it and sand some of the white off so some of the blue shows through. I don't know how well this works but that is my plan for my chair :)

Brianna! said...

Oh how I wish I owned this:)
Lucky you!

xoxo
bB

Unknown said...

What a great piece! I cannot wait to see what you do with it!

sara said...

It's perfect! I cannot believe someone threw that gem in the garbage!

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

Tons of potential! No idea what to do with it but I love it! I also love the color.

Kerry said...

What a great dresser! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

If there is a finish over the top of the paint, you'll probably need some sort of stripper to help clean it up, and then give it a sand so that the new primer/paint will adhere to the wood. If you want to distress it, put some wax on the edges, it will make it easier to sand away paint!

You'll also want to use some varathane afterwards to seal it up! Hope that helps a bit! :)

Unknown said...

It's so perfect! I can't wait to see the finished product! I bet you could find some cute knobs at Anthropologie :)

www.meg-land.blogspot.com

xx

Anonymous said...

it can always stay a shade of blue to be part of your " something blue"

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Beautiful! What a great find!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE finding old antiques like this and giving them new life! and dessert dresser is just genius!!!! Cant wait to see how it all turns out!! :)

Scientific Housewife said...

Really nice piece, can't wait to see the finished product!

Unknown said...

i wouldn't strip off the fab blue color. paint it the white you'd like and then distress it some to let some of the blue peek through a bit. will look amazing and keep the vintage vibe you're wanting. you may just have to sand the blue down a bit for the white paint to adhere. also - put some thin molding/trim around the top edge, so that the dessert platters don't migrate off the edge when people go to help themselves. great find!!

Unknown said...

It was your lucky day when you found this dresser. I'm totally into the robin's egg blue, but can't wait to see what you do with it!

Rachel
xoxo

Ashley said...

i really do love this idea. what a cool nod to the vintage idea and making something completely your own. i've been in or invited to loads of weddings and have never seen something like this. i love it!

good look on fixing it up. i once tried to strip an old farm table i found in Kansas and it was an eye opening and back breaking experience. but my table had about 7 layers of paint!

you can do it!

theUngourmet said...

I think this piece has great potential! I am in the process of sanding, priming and painting my dining room chairs. It is quite a process but so worth it. I'm picturing this in a perfect shade of light pink. Are you going to distress it a little? Can't wait to see it when it's all finished. ;)Good luck!

richelle jean said...

wow! i love that drawer!!!

Francis Family said...

I love redone furniture. I've always wanted to try it.... but never do. I think it'll be way cute! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Punctuation Mark said...

once you refinish it and change the hardware you'll be surprise how different is going to look... have fun with the project!!!

Stephanie said...

I love it and the weathered look gives it so much character! With some new hardware and TLC, it will be fabulous!