DIY Favour Bags


I swear this DIY stuff has me head over heels in lurve with arts and crafts. Prior to becoming engaged over two years ago, never would I have thought that I'd want to be so heavily involved in personally creating so many elements of my wedding day. But after many many crafting days - the latest project being these cute favour bags - I feel like a little kid in a candy store. And these bags are just perfect for candy as a matter of fact. I am very excited for our wedding guests to fill them up with cake pops and truffles and macarons and cookies and donuts and Maltesers and jelly beans and this list goes on and on and on....


I started with medium sized brown Kraft bags from Michaels. They come in packs of 16 and with a 50 percent off coupon ends up being $2.81 (I refuse to pay full price at Michaels; it's so pricey there!) Then I  picked a stamp that reads Thank You so guests would understand that the bags and the treats to go in them, are Andrew and I's way of thanking them for sharing in our celebration. Martha Stewart makes a really rad (and expensive) line of paper punches so I picked up a doily pattern edge cutter that is just to die for. And I made sure to get a dark black ink pad so the stamp imprint would show up clearly on the brown paper. Pretty simple list of supplies for such cutey patooty bags!


{Step 1} Punch the tops of the brown bags. I opted to punch each bag just once so that the doily pattern rests in the middle of the bag opening. I found it very difficult to match up the lines of holes in the pattern when I went to carry the pattern across the entire top. It got very messy and I was wasting all of my bags trying to make things look perfect so I decided one punch per bag would do the trick.


{Step 2} Stamp the bags, apply pressure and peel away stamp. This is a pretty self explanatory step, however - and this is a biggie - make sure your ink pad is big enough for your stamp to lay flat down on it. Parts of my stamp like the top of the T and bottom of the Y didn't fit on the pad I bought. I ended up make a big mess of myself and the stamp trying to get equal coverage on the stamp but eventually found a way of rotating the stamp on the pad to pick up enough ink.


You can see in this picture below how the ink would well up inside the curl of the letter Y. I ended up throwing out about three bags since this made a really big blob of a mess. Try stamping your stamp on a scrap piece of paper a few times to make sure it's fairly clean after completing five or six bags. This will keep the ink out of places it shouldn't be and avoids unnecessary build up.


{Step 3} Let the bags dry. It's that easy! The bags dry very quickly so you won't have to wait too long. I ended up making close to 50 bags so I still have about 40 more to go to ensure that all of our guests will get one. But I just adore how they turned out and will be placing all of the bags in one of the drawers of our Dessert Dresser. The tops will hang out slightly and will in my opinion, look so fab!


Not the snazziest DIY projects but one of the cutest and cheapest I have done to date. And unlike some of the others I really think our guests will notice the extra bit of effort put into something homemade like these! What do you think you could use these bags for aside from a wedding? Happy Crafting everyone!  P.S. That doily pattern punched into the tops of the bags will be seen in other areas of our wedding decor so stay tuned; I just cannot wait to share it all with you :) xo

27 Lovely Comments:

Unknown said...

I am so loving your crazy cuteness! Such great details.

Angie said...

Awesome! I just love it! I think it would work well for hostess gifts as well as party favors!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Those are awesome!! The idea to do the punch at the top was brilliant. It really transforms it from a paper bag into a lovely treat. :)

little luxury list said...

Aww love them Rhi! Is that the Martha Stewart edge press? Love the edges!

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

too cute! Great idea. I am also very impressed at how frugal you are.

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable! Love it! xo

Jennifer Rose said...

ooh those look great :D really nice personal touch to the wedding. really looking forward to seeing the whole thing :)

Lucy said...

These are just adorable! I want to remember all your charming ideas for when I get married one day - your wedding and blog is going to be an inspiration to so many!

Jacklyn said...

I love these! My mom makes little bags like these with her rubber stamps. What a great idea!

I feel like I've been on vacation all summer and haven't talked to you :) So great to be reading your blog again. Love the new design (I know, I know, I'm behind :)

Poppies and Sunshine said...

This is so adorable! I love this idea!!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

rhi these are gorgeous, well done!!! I love the Thank you stamp, can I ask where you got it from? Thanks sweets! xoxo

AmyK said...

Love it! Definitely saves some money rather than paying to have them done :)

I made some of the decorations for our wedding, too. We only had two months to plan and execute everything, though, or else I would have hand-made more of our wedding!

Blair McLeod said...

so super cute! i did stamped bags too but didn't think of the cool puncher. lovely!!

ps, love your new header!!!

Nicole-Lynn said...

They came out great! Love it!

its simple love said...

So cute! Man I love this idea. I love have a candy bar at a wedding or a special event. These are easy and adorable. Thanks for sharing!

Rachael

Kerry said...

Love these Rhiannon! They are super cute and I think they would work great for little loot bags at kids birthdays as well! :)

becca said...

What an amazing little idea!
I have just bookmarked it for myself, and sent the link to my mom saying,
"We need to find a reason to make these now!" ha ha ha
So cute.
And I just love the fact that they are simple. That means very little money and skill and time has to go into this, and it is quite customizable.
Love it!
Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

WHOA. Please come help me plan my wedding in a few years. Thaaaaaaanks :)<3

Melanie@UnravelledThreads

Joyti said...

Your wedding guests will be so lucky, those are sooo cute!

theUngourmet said...

These are so darling! I love using paper bags for things like this. Your new header is so fabulous!

Joie de Viv said...

LOVE these! You're the best DIY-er!!!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

clearlytangled said...

yay! excellent use of the decorative punch. wedding crafts are the best :)

Jen said...

I LOVE stamping everything!! Brown paper bags, envelopes, gift wrap, letters, you name it. Love this post!! So glad I popped on by.

keishua said...

What a nifty idea.love it.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

How clever.... It's an adorable idea.

Warmest wishes on your wedding day.

Spencer

party bags said...

If I'll be having this one, I'll never thought that this was only done easily this way.

Liesl said...

Love how dainty, elegant and lovely this idea is! I think I might do this with my welcome bags since my thank you gifts for each guest come wrapped and bowed! :)

Liesl :)