The Dessert Dresser Part III

Phew! I finally finished our Dessert Dresser. And by finished I really mean I cleaned, painted, lined, fixed, glued and glitzed it up to the nines. For a few weeks last month, I was dead set on leaving the dresser as is (remember the teal blue wood and the honey coloured drawers and top?) Yet when I put my cake stand and apothecary jars on the blue-hued dresser I knew I had to clean it up a bit. Plus the spider webs and dirt on this thing were kind of outta control. Thus my DIY adventure began.


If you remember my original plan, I was going to white wash the entire dresser to allow the blue to show through the paint. Yet, after doing a few coats of my antique white oil based paint, I fell in love with the finished product. From there I painted and painted and painted making sure to get enough paint on the dresser to hide most of the blue yet I made sure to use a brush rather than a roller to add a little texture to the coatt. Here's what the drawers looked like when I first started out...


See those ugly brown drawer insides? I had to find something to spruce that up. So I went here....


And thankfully found a very subtle but pretty ivory coloured wallpaper print for yup, you read that right, two bucks. This store that I went to (and yes it is called A Big Big Wallpaper Store) was completely insane with three floors of wall to wall racks of wallpaper. After about 40 minutes of looking, perusing, picking out and putting back two bold damask patterns and three different pinks, and debating over and between gray, black, pink or ivory, I settled on my sale find. I figured keeping things simple with the dresser would look best; even if lining my drawers in pink wallpaper seemed totally rad and amazing :)

When I got home, my Dad helped me measure and cut all of the paper pieces (with an exacto knife) to fit inside the drawers. This was such a tedious and frustrating task so I am thankful for my Dad's help! Then I glue guned the corners down to the wood to make sure the wallpaper would stick. But I can't show you the drawers just yet because first I wanted to show you these. Remember those awesome knobs I was telling you about?


Well I had a really hard time picking which ones I loved best. Like a really hard time. Because each and every knob was so fun and unique in its own way (Thanks Mom for sharing them with me). So to make things easier for myself I decided that there were no rules here! This was a DIY kinda thing so if I wanted mismatched knobs I was going to have mismatched knobs! With the gorgeous yet simple wallpaper lining and clean antique white paint job, I could afford to get a little quirky with the dresser. And besides, my Thank You favour bags - you know the ones with the scalloped tops - needed to be surrounded by a little bit of sass.


To really get a feel for how the entire Dessert Dresser set up will look at the wedding, I dragged out all of my jars and ceramic dishes as well. I tried about four different ways to arrange things on the dresser in a presentable and practical way but I am thinking this will be a last minute decision I make once I get all the treats in and on their containers/platters. The jars you see are from Home Goods, the white tiered stand, cake stand and platter are from Home Sense and the little silver cups and vintage books are from the Resuse Center here in Burlington.


On the blue cake stand will be our three tiered cake covered in white fondant and ivory sugar roses with pale pink centers. Half of the cake will be lemon truffle and the other half will be chocolate ganache. The two tiered white ceremic platter with hold raspberry mousse filled dark chocolates shaped as two hearts. I ordered these from a Belgium chocolatier here in Burlington and my mouth is watering just thinking of how incredible they are! I 'sampled' four of them just the other day.

The blue ceramic platter will hold our candy apple style vanilla cake pops dipped in white chocolate and covered in non pariels. The three apothecary jars will hold raspberry and vanilla bean macarons and orange and rum truffles. We will also have small vases with a selection of lolli sticks and one of the drawers will contain some sort of candy as well like pink Jelly Bellies. There will also be a tray of chocolate chip cookies made by yours truly. But that display is another DIY project for another day.


And don't you just love the Sweet Love banner?! We will be stringing this across the width of a giant vintage silver picture frame my neighbor is lending us. It will be placed behind the dresser when it's set up at our venue and will lean against the wall beside the room where dinner is served. Amazing. I think I am pretty excited to see this all come together on the big day :)


Oh and for those of you who lurve some Before and Afters; may your heart jump with joy:


Have a fabulous week everyone :) Apb visits me on Friday and we will be finalizing our linens, food choices, drinks and ceremony structure as well as completing some last minute DIY projects I am dying to get finished. I also have my Bachelorette Party on Sunday with my closest girlfriends and this little bride-to-be cannot wait. Only 23 more sleeps until the big day! Eeeek be still my heart! xoxo

Here's Part I
Here's Part II
And here's the Final Product from our Wedding Day.

29 Lovely Comments:

Barry said...

Hey gorgeous! My first reaction when I saw the finished piece was that the dresser just looks 'happy'. I never describe furniture this way, but it just looks like it knows it's had new life breathed into it. I love it.

Stagette huh? Now you know I'm going to wanna hear all the details on this one! ALL the details!

x

Unknown said...

It is fabulous! I love the white! It is motivating me to tackle a big project I have been contemplating!

Unknown said...

Wow! Rhiannon you did such an awesome job on this and the styling is beautiful. I can't wait to see everything when it's all said and done! Did you make the banner on your own? Does there happen to be a DIY for that?

Rachel
xoxo

theUngourmet said...

Such a fantastic makeover! I love the mismatched knobs...so fun! It's going to be the perfect dessert dresser! Oh and your cake sounds absolutely fabulous!

annelise said...

The mismatched knobs really make it, don't they? I don't think it would have been nearly as charming if they had've all been the same. You've done a wonderful job on it.

Tatiana said...

This is amazing! Love the knobs, love the lace. You did a fabulous job and what a great idea!

Mommara said...

What a wonderful make over. I am loving this idea.

Liesl said...

I love it!!! Well done and I can't believe you are only 23 days away...so exciting!!!

Liesl :)

MarlysMSU said...

AMAZING! Rhi, you are spectacular : )

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

Oh I love it! love the knobs

Scientific Housewife said...

So cute, you did such a great job!

Kerry said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous! You did a great job and I love the mismatched knobs! :)

All that talk of delicious treats has me thinking of wedding crashing haha...

Janie | We Heart Paper said...

So beautiful! Love love love the knobs!

Ashley said...

i cannot believe how near your wedding is! crazy! you did a fantastic job on this dresser!

and flowers pick themselves said...

even though i loved the original color, i'm digging the "after" shot too. those knobs are wonderful!

xo Alison

Unknown said...

love, love the final result- fabulous!

Lou said...

You are a clever stick - I wish you could come and remodel my whole house! Lou x

I BLEED PINK said...

Wow, that came out so nice!! I can't wait to see it filled with yummy desserts!

I can't believe ur big day is coming so quickly!!

Punctuation Mark said...

i love it and everything you've done to it and with it... i hope you get to use it many many more years because it looks great!

Shelley said...

you did an awesome job!! it looks so good! i love the white and how clean it looks. white furniture is so beautiful!

Debbie said...

I love it! What a great job.

Emilee Joy said...

Rhi, I cannot wait to see your actual wedding photos with all these little DIY projects working together.

Blair McLeod said...

girl... honestly? you amaze me!!

so creative. so beautiful.

Slamdunk said...

Wow, great job with the dresser refurbish. Glad to see all of your work pay dividends.

Cocoa Chu Chu said...

That's awesome! I want to give my dresser a makeover too :)

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Poppies and Sunshine said...

This is such a wonderful idea! It looks fabulous. I love all the different drawer pulls.

Rachael Sedory said...

OMG! This is the most fantastic and fanciful idea! I am loving this idea!

Lindsay @ la vita dolce said...

i love the dresser!!! the before and after is amazing. you have a lot of talent :) i wish i would be that creative and talented.
just found your blog...love it!! :)