Our Wedding Day, From the Bride

A funny thing happened. Apb and I got married. And here it comes...hold on tight everyone...

It wasn't perfect. Feeling a little bit sick to my stomach, I spent many days after the wedding thinking about how September 24th could have been anything except perfection and have spent almost every single day since then thinking of how I could break the news to all of you who have waited so patiently to hear all about it. So I did some soul searching. I made a few lists. I talked with some girlfriends. I tried real hard to be realistic about my expectations. I had a few heart to hearts with my husband and here's what I came up with.

Our wedding, in a nutshell, was real. Very far from perfect, but very real and so 'Apb and Rbs' and that's what made our wedding day so special. Our ceremony ended up getting moved indoors because of the intense rain and wind that day. But as a result ended up being extremely intimate, so cozy and reading Apb a culmination of my feelings over the past five years as we stood in front of a blazing fireplace was so magical. Nothing can quite describe the way you feel during your wedding ceremony. Our food wasn't five star dining. It actually ended up being quite different than the options we had taste tested and I felt terrible when the meal was placed down in front of me. It was like our food wasn't good enough for our guests. Yet everyone raved about the food and 98.75% of everyone's plates were wiped clean. My Dessert Dresser was no Sweet and Saucy or Amy Atlas creation but seeing our guests hunched over the jars of goodies, making sure to fill up their little homemade Thank You bags really made me smile as I thought back to the countless nights I spent cleaning and painting that old thing.

And the list goes on and on and on. I didn't love my hair. I could have lost about five pounds to really feel my best that day. I could have done this or that differently to make everything 'better.' To make our wedding suitable to meet all of your expectations because after all I have been blogging about one single day for close to a year now. I could have made the 'wedding' more blog-worthy, more vintage, more pretty. Not only did I have a vision of how I expected things to turn out, but you too have visions that I am sure are still floating around in your head; at least until I share some photos and recaps.

In reality, at the end of the day, most of these things don't matter. Because I have a marriage. And a best friend who loves me and would "fly to the moon and back while waiting 20 years for me" if he had to. I've said it before and not as an excuse to fall back on if things didn't go as planned, but that to me, is the true beauty and excitement that represents a wedding and ultimately a marriage. And that's exactly what we got. The dresses (yes I had two), the flowers, the cake, the dinner, the Dessert Dresser, the little perfectly wrapped vellum table numbers; all that stuff is fluff. Kind of pretty fluff, but nevertheless things that mean nothing in the grand scheme of wedding things. Could I have done better? Yes. Do I wish I would have? Absolutely not. Because our day was just that. Completely and perfectly ours.


Our professional photos won't be ready for another few weeks and I refuse to share anything but until then (can you believe I lost my camera battery two days before the wedding? Yes, I cried over it and yes I am oh-so-sorry I didn't get any of my own photos from the big day). But I promise each and every one of you that I will do a complete and in depth recap of every wedding day element from the florals and the decor to the dresses, Dessert Dresser, our ceremony and cake once I get all of the proofs back. For now, here is a teaser from Amanda and I love it. I love my husband. I love love, I love us. Oh and I have an announcement. Perhaps I shall share with you on this Friday? xo 

38 Lovely Comments:

Free Pretty Things For You said...

there is only one word for this..
GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

Kathy F. said...

Rhiannon, you couldn't have said it better. No matter how picture perfect you think the big day will be, something will go wrong...or several. But, the important part is, you and your hubby shared something very special with each other and with family and friends and no one can EVER take that away from you. Congrats again!

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics and the teaser is just breathtaking.

Truly Smitten said...

Stunnnnnnnnning!!!! I can't wait to see the prof. photos!

Lindsay said...

I can't believe you stressed about breaking the news to us! You could have gotten married in a white trash bag and we'd still think it was fab! Sometimes imperfection is truly the best!

Liesl said...

I just wanted you to know how lovely, honest and beautiful your post is! Thank you so much for sharing that and the reality of it with us.

I think you said it perfectly when you said your wedding was "real," and real is just about the only thing anyone can ask for...so, I think you did perfectly! :)

I really enjoyed reading all you wrote, could see the heart you put into and love that you made the most of it and are looking at the positive!

That picture of you and your husband is beautiful and I really look forward to seeing others when they are ready!

Sending you smiles! :) :) :)

Liesl :)

christine, just bella said...

I think real is all you can ask for. I too spent a year obsessing over all the tiny details of the day, but when I think back to my wedding 2 years ago all I remember is the LOVE.

That photo of you two is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see more of your beautiful wedding!!

Jesse said...

Can I tell you have never been to a bad wedding! I am sure it was absolutely divine! And it was all yours and that is what matters. Memories you will have for a lifetime! Meditate on all of the good! Hugs sweet girl!! Can't wait to hear your news!

little luxury list said...

Isn't your wedding day imperfection create a perfect you? Gorgeous picture!

Lou said...

Rhi - wow - I love your wise words and feel like you have really spoken your heart. There would be lots of people who would still present the image of 'perfection' to blog land as frankly how would we know any different?! However you have kept it 'real' and your words about marriage and love are so touching. You love love. Wonderful sentiment. I am so happy for you. And an announcement - whaaaaaat???? Don't keep me holding on. Lou x

Lucy said...

This photo is beautiful :) And I know the others will be perfect too because they were all part of your big day.

Anonymous said...

That picture is amazing! I think that there is just so much planning and expectations around a wedding day that sometimes it's hard to just enjoy the moment... sounds like you were able to appreciate the day for what it was. xo

She Wore It Well said...

congratulations!

on my wedding day my shoe broke, the driver slammed my hand in the door and my husband fainted twice! hopefully that makes you feel better ;) you have the rest of your life for perfect days xo



She Wore It Well Blog

Blair McLeod said...

love this. weddings are unlike anything else. I can still look back on mine and have a tiny bit of regret...but mostly i just remember how loved i felt.

LOVE that photo and can't wait to see more.

do we get to hear the groom side?!

Lilacandgrey said...

What a beautiful photo! Congratulations!

PS. When My florist said he had to change my flowers from dahlias to orchids, when the limo forgot to pick up my husband and groomsmen, when we were short two place settings...All I said to myself was "nothing is perfect, what will be will be, just let it be"

jessica lynn said...

as a wedding blogger, isnt it depressing looking at other weddings and suddenly think that yours "isnt good enough" or "doesn't compare" to those featured on your favorite blogs?! it was for me. ugh. i could say a lot of things on that topic, but i'll refrain. what matters at the end of the day is that you're MARRIED! :) And, at least your guests enjoyed your dessert dresser. Mine/ours was barely touched!!! All that work and $$$ for nothing! haha.

Natasha said...

you look BEAUTIFUL my dear and i can't wait to hear a recap--congrats on this exciting new journey and i am sure it was SPLENDID!!!

I BLEED PINK said...

I always watch those bride shows and get so frustrated at the brides being so horrible trying to strive for this PERFECT day. Life is not perfect and there is no way in heck one day can't have a little flubs. But like you said you have to look at the big picture, you got to share a special day with the man of your dreams.

I love the teaser picture we got to see, as always you guys are lovely!!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about how you pour your heart into something to think afterwards that it could've been better. But know that everyone at your wedding I'm sure thought it was just perfect :)

Jacklyn said...

You look amazing! This picture is beautiful! I love how you say the day was so us. That's all it needs to be :) Can't wait to hear the news and see the pictures!!!

Ashley said...

oh rhi, i know you must've been initially so disappointed that it rained and the food wasn't as you expected. you worked so hard! but it sounds like you have the right perspective on things. it sounds like the whole event was quite lovely and I can't wait for more pics!

and this announcement....???

Unknown said...

I always tell my planning clients that no matter what, even with me on their side, something or many things will go wrong. As long as you walk down the aisle & get married, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm sorry that some of your icing wasn't perfect. But there was a beautiful marriage & lots of love . . . Congratulations!

Wendy said...

Your wedding was perfect! Not because everything went as planned and every detail as expected, but because you stood with the man you love and said two very simple words that have so much power ~ "I Do." What really could be more perfect than that?

Alright Miss Gorgeous, you look BEAUTIFUL, can't wait to see more, and I'd have to say, my interest is peeked :)!

Unknown said...

You look beautiful! I totally hated my hair on my wedding day and snapped at my mom, no big deal, nothing is ever perfect! You will look back and appreciate its imperfections! XX!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Sweetie this is so honest and beautiful and real. Everyone has the fantasy of the ideal wedding but very few are truly that. It's too much pressure on that one day. What you said is so true. You have the marriage and that's the thing that matters most. Oh and that photo is just gorgeous! xoxo

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post :)

It may not have been perfect to you but I bet it was to everyone who was there. I love what you said about it being real though.

We all obsess about the details when we are planning it, but some things we cannot control ie, the weather.

We had torrential rain and the vintage car taking myself and my brother (who gave me away) to the church had to stop for a while (making us late) because the old windscreen wipers couldn't cope with such rain!!
My mother left the readings for the church at the hotel and went back for them - making us even later!
The hotel set my reeeeeaaalllly expensive tiered wedding cake up and it leaned - really obviously. But I was too late to do anything about it!
Our very expensive food was good but not nearly as good as the food we had tasted at the test-taste!

Oh, and the make-up artist I had paid for made me look like some kind of clown, ugh!!!

And so on..... :)

Your photo looks stunning, I cannot wait to see more :)

Can't wait for the announcement either....ooooooh!!!!! xx

Pink Champagne said...

LOVE this post! And I'm so happy that your wedding day was so perfectly you - you and your husband will remember and cherish that day forever. From that teaser picture, I cannot wait to see all the rest!

(And no rush, my dear - I have been home from my honeymoon for a month now, and I am FINALLY posting wedding photos tomorrow!) XO

clearlytangled said...

rhi, i can totally relate to your post, as i had similar feelings about our (u.s.) wedding. but you're totally right, your wedding was real, and even if it was imperfect it is yours... and in the end, you are married to APB and that's what matters!
i will admit that i sometimes look back and wish some things had gone differently, but i try to focus on what's important!!

the photo you posted is so beautiful. can't wait to see the rest...

oh, and don't apologize for not visiting my blog! you were busy planning a wedding, lady! no need to be sorry at all!

Unknown said...

Your keeping it real...nothing wrong with that, everything RIGHT with it actually...and like you said, at the end of the day you have a marriage AND a best friend! Imagine a perfect magazine worthy wedding and a partner you didn't love? No thanks! :)
xx

Scientific Housewife said...

Gorgeous! Every bride thinks of things after the fact they would like to change but all that matters is that you are married and happy!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

OMG, I am literally dying over your dress. That waist piece is AMAZING. I knew you would look gorg...but wow!

and flowers pick themselves said...

that photo is incredible! thanks for sharing your story. so beautiful + honest.

congratulation!

xo Alison

MamaJoss said...

CONGRATULATIONS MRS.!!!! I have been following along on FB and here with all your preparations, the BIG DAY and Honeymoon -- you are an AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS BRIDE :) Your photos, that you do already have are beyond-amazing. Yes, expectations are a hard thing to meet and we too had our crappy wedding moments (like our photog company sending a different photographer on our wedding day - whoo was horrific!!), but it was STILL the best day ever. You guys are an adorable couple -- I wish you many years of happiness together xo Can't wait to see more photos pretty lady!

Kae said...

i think this is the typical reaction to weddings. i had the same one to mine. but after you're all done with your lists of what you wish you could have done differently, you find out that all your married friends were right when they told you that your marriage is so much better than your wedding day could ever be. glad you enjoy it now!

p.s i adore that photo! can't wait to see more!

Lori said...

Love this shot and love your honesty about your wedding. $hit happens and although it may not have been pretty enough or vintage enough you nailed it when you said "we have a marriage". That is what matters the most and as long as you had a blast ~ the rest is just gravy. You married the love if your life surrounded by family and friends and that my girl is the best thing in the world. xo

Nicole-Lynn said...

Aww, very well said sweetie! I am so glad you had a great wedding day regardless of things not going as planned. Your ceremony sounded so romantic and intimate! Love it!

The teaser pic is absolutely stunning! You two look like you could be in a magazine!

Looking forward to hearing more about your big day and some recaps... yey! :)

Kat said...

Lady, reading your wedding post was so honest and poignant. My heart was basically exploding.

The picture you shared of the two of you on your big day was gorgeous!

bailey said...

Thank you for this post, I am so happy I stumbled on your blog! It's 7 months after my wedding and I too have a complex about my hair that day - was it really me?, and that we didn't have an 'artsy' photographer that makes you want to blog all your pictures, and... basically everything I see on wedding websites. But I had the best time of my life - it was the best day. You just said it so perfectly here and I so appreciate it. Enjoy married life - IT'S AWESOME!

bailey
traveling-anchor.blogspot.com

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

This photo makes me so excited for the other pictures!