Our Balloon Release


Throughout our entire engagement, there was one thing that always stood out in the back of my mind. Regardless of where, when and how we would get and be married, it was important to somehow pay tribute to my sweet Nan; she was one of the most important people in my life and losing her is still something I often struggle with emotionally. The problem however, was finding a way to incorporate her into our celebration in a private and meaningful way. I needed something that was equally as special as she was. Something just as close to the heart as she was to mine. One day during endless thoughts of all things wedding, it came to my mind.

Those two giant peachy balloons weren't just props for pretty pictures but were instead our way of including Nan and her spirit into our wedding. When she passed away in May of 2008, it was only two days before my birthday. In lieu of a funeral we had a little get together at my Grandpa's house where we ate food, shared memorable stories about Nan and as a symbolic nod to her life, we released thirty pink balloons into the heavens; each balloon carrying a handwritten note from the friends and family that had gathered in her honour. I remember saying a few words to the group of forty plus people that had stood in the backyard, before we each let go of our notes. And as soon as released our ribbons, all at once the balloons clustered together into the clouds. One giant pink cluster bright against the blue sky. We watched in silence until the cluster of pink turned into a colourless speck and we stood still until that colourless speck was no longer in view. I was the last to leave the backyard that day.







On September 24th, there weren't any notes sent up into the sky via helium filled balloons. But instead, I stood in front of the man I was about to marry, and whispered a few unrehearsed words that came from both my heart and from the most tender part of my soul. Andrew listened patiently. He told me he missed her too. And I think I let one single tear slide down my cheek just before I looked up to catch a few rays of sunlight finally shining through those rain clouds that had forced our wedding inside. Our guest list was finally complete.

33 Lovely Comments:

Caroline said...

So SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura said...

amazing <3

Sophie said...

this is so beautiful! such a beautiful way to include your nan in the wedding xx

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Beautiful!!!!!! :)

Courtney@SDB said...

So sweet and so thoughtful! We had a prayer said during our ceremony in honor of my dad. I love how this was a private moment between you two.

Bri said...

This is such a beautiful post!

Kirby Margaret said...

What a beautiful story. My fiance lost his grandma(his most favorite person in the world) about a year before we started dating. he said that at the funeral a cardinal showed up during a time of year when they shouldn't have been around. his grandma loved cardinals so they said it must have been grandma. now whenever they see one they think of her. our wedding has touches of cardinals incorporated into it in memory of her.

Becca said...

Beautiful!!

Series of Unseriousness said...

I love this idea. I love her celebration of life you had. I read your story, viewed your pictures and scrolled on through my blog reader to find this... http://peacockfeatherevents.blogspot.com/2011/02/oh-my.html Just thought I'd share.

Brooke T said...

that is so sweet and beautiful and wonderful. What a great idea, I am so glad that you did that. I'm going to carry my grandpa's handkerchief and have to figure something else out for my other grandpa.

This is such a beautiful post. I love it!

kaliente said...

Rhi that was so sweet and touching.
I'm sitting in the library wiping away tears.
You are beautiful.

Megan said...

AHHH breathtaking!!!!!!!!

Renee said...

Oh this is so sweet! Beautiful idea!

Kerry said...

What a sweet idea and what a sweet post Rhiannon! I love it!

Marcie said...

One word, amazing! Not only are these balloons beautiful, the sentimental value is just perfect! I love how you wrote and captured these moments!

xo Marcie

Holly said...

What a sweet & touching idea. I dont even know you & I got a ping of emotion reading this & seeing the photos.

jessica lynn said...

ahhhh tears!! how beautiful! i lost my dad and grandma 3 and 5 months before our wedding. its so hard not to have them there but important that you remember them in some way. what a beautiful tribute. xo

Lauren said...

This is so cute! Love.

Ashley said...

i'm in love with this idea. i am passing it on to my sister, maybe she'll use it to remember our grandmother and pop pop

♥{Diana}♥ said...

dying to know where you found those perfect balloons!

Liesl said...

You know I love, love, love this!!! It was an idea for my engagement pictures and has been a wonderful wedding inspiration! So pretty!

Liesl :)

Liesl said...

P.S. I love what they meant to you...so lovely!!!

Sarah said...

this is beautiful, so sweet.

BridalHood said...

Love the giant balloons with black lace!

Alisha said...

Simply precious. You almost brought me to tears…
I heart you sweet friend! I love this sweet tribute <3

Anonymous said...

Stunning! Love it.

Daryl Bean said...

Oh my goodness...RHIANNON!!!! You are amazing! I love reading your work! So passionate, so heartfelt, so you! I am so proud of you girl!

Stephanie said...

I love the lace idea for the balloons. My heart aches when I read this - I found out my Grandma went to the ER after falling today (and she has a cold). The thought of ever losing her is so painful. This is such a beautiful idea and tribute.

Michaela said...

This is so so so sweet, Rhi! I love your idea. The lace on the balloons was a great tough, too (:

Nicole-Lynn said...

So so sweet of you! Great picturs capturing such a special moment!

Blair McLeod said...

what a sweet sweet thing to do! was there a dry eye around?!

Here's To You . . . Weddings and Events said...

I am sitting here wipping my tears away thinking of my Nana. What a beautiful tribute and an awesome "private" moment just for the "3" of you that day.

Anonymous said...

Love ribbon attached to the balloons. I will surely add this romantic inspiration to my blog!!