Our First Look {Part II}


These series of First Look photos are some of my favourtites from our wedding day. When our gallery of images was first posted online, I skimmed through the hundreds of proofs anxiously clicking through each page trying to soak it all in. Because of the size of the thumbnails, I was never really able to see the expressions and detail captured in each and every photo. Yet, when I took the time to really look through each image individually, and when I was able to study our facial expressions through each experience on that day, I could see how much emotion was in each shot. Seeing Andrew and I's expressions upon seeing one another for the first time, watching our expressions change throughout the entire experience, and seeing his expression when he opened his gift are truly so special to me. I've seen that face below only a few times in the five plus years I've known this man and I have to say I love it. Surprising and giving Andrew things to show him how much he means to me is one of my favourite things to do.

P.S. For anyone who is wondering, seeing Andrew before the ceremony did not take away from the excitement and experience of 'walking down the aisle' towards him. In actuality, if anything the first look helped me turn any feelings of nervousness and anxiousness from the whirlwind of that day into a complete sense of excitement that simply radiated from me as my Dad and I walked down the aisle. A lot of brides fear first looks as they think it will take away from that life changing experience when you start your walk. I can promise you that's not the case but to be fair, first looks aren't for everyone and I understand that. I just wanted to explain my personal experience!


What about you guys? Are you for or against the idea of a first look? Here is Part I of our First Look!

29 Lovely Comments:

Liesl said...

Just beautiful! I can't get enough of your wedding picture posts! I love your first look and your reasoning behind it makes complete sense and I love that you can capture so many wonderful pictures from it for memories, but I think I'm going to go the traditional route and wait till I walk down the aisle...but either way is lovely! :)

Liesl :)

Kerry said...

I love the idea of a first look, and this series was great. I love the emotion in the photo, particularly the one of you sneaking up behind him. The excitement on your face makes me so happy! :) Thanks so much for sharing these Rhi

Lindsay said...

So precious. I love the first look idea. Yours is one of the best I've seen!

Kirby Margaret said...

I think either is great, my fiance and I decided to forgoe the first look and see each other for the first time as I'm walking down the aisle

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how I feel about a first look just yet.

Some of my traditional views/old wives tales keep popping into my head about seeing the bride before the walk as "bad luck."

I'm sure my boyfriend and I will decide what we want to do when I get a ring on my finger first! LOL

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

its such a beautiful idea and so intimate, really liking it

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Ah I have chills!!! I've been too busy spa-cationing the past few days that I haven't had the time to stop by. But I just looked back at all the posts I missed of your wedding day and I am swooning beyond belief! How gorgeous you guys both were and that dress completely floored me! Amazing, gorgeous :) Can't wait to see more! xoxo

Unknown said...

I adore your First Look session! I always tell my Brides to consider it & most decide it's a fab idea. But do as I say, not as I do because I didn't have a First Look session. We had a church ceremony & hotel reception with a BIG gap between that made the most sense for photos. To get ready in time for a First Look session before the ceremony just wasn't in the cards. It must be special no matter when you see each other for the first time on your wedding day. I can attest that it was pretty powerful & amazing to see each other as I walked down the aisle . . . one of the best parts of our wedding day!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I never noticed that pop of lace on your bouquet...Love! And I'm all for the first look! We did it!

Nikki said...

That bottom photo is my favorite. So sweet.

We saw each other before, had a moment. I wouldn't wish it away.

Unknown said...

Awesome when he sees the watch. it's that "oh,...damnnnn" look. Must be a nice watch ;) good stuff.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

So gorgeous! Loving your wedding recaps :-)

Megan said...

im for whatever works best for the bride and groom. their day, their say. hey...i rhymed. im so clever.

Sophie said...

this is gorgeous! i just read part 1 too and absolutely loved it! looks like the perfect wedding day. xx

Kimber said...

Breathtaking photos! My fiance and I are doing the First Look and these photos just solidify it! Capturing that emotion in a private moment seems so special.

April of Smidge Of This said...

We've got a first look planned for our May 28th wedding, and it's one of the parts I'm looking forward to most! Glad to hear your thoughts on it -- I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

Alyssa said...

I absolutely love the idea of a first look! Yours is absolutely adorable - I can't wait to see more.

Anonymous said...

OMG i really love your Wedding ... you both are so gorgeous!! i am so in love with your color scheme and the details.... i really want to change my wedding colors. maybe you can give me some tips: my colors are red, brown and ivory, i really like to incorporate the lace but not sure if it will look good! what do you think??

Unknown said...

I am all about it! I love that the moment is captured, and makes some amazing photos! It's still an insane rush when you walk down the aisle looking at each other, and seeing each other beforehand doesn't take away from this at all!!!

Lovely photos Rhiannon, you already know I am a fan!

Kat said...

Those snaps are just incredible, lady! I definitely think the First Look is a great idea, and we'll be doing it for our wedding. Like you said - having those moments completely alone is SO special!

Brooke T said...

We're not doing one but I love looking at the pictures of the people who do!! Yours are the best I've seen!

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

Love these photos! Takes you right back to how you felt I bet! xx

Marcie said...

Stunning! You are such a beauty!! I love looking at all your wonderful photos.

xo Marcie

PS- my photographer is sending me new photos so they are better quality. Coming soon. :)

Michaela said...

This is so darn sweet. I love the idea of the First Look. I've heard it saves lots of time for photographers, too. And the pictures are so darling, why not?! MAJOR cuteness, sweet friend (:

The Bonjour Four said...

SOOOO so sweet! i am totally loving all of these posts about your wedding!

Ashley said...

i never thought i was a first look kinda girl, but you saying that it called your nerves really has me thinking...

Anonymous said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed this series on your wedding..you are a gorgeous couple and every detail of your wedding just stunning. Makes me want to do it all over again :)
xx

Nicole-Lynn said...

Very sweet! Ya'll are too cute for words! We're not doing a first look.. I think we've had email convo.'s about this before, or maybe it was someone else? haha

Blair McLeod said...

i hadn't thought about doing this... but like the idea.

i wouldn't trade my experience for anything... but love that yours was so special!