Chic Winter Wedding by Jessica Cornman Photography

Life is funny sometimes. Six years ago I would have never guessed that here I'd be blogging about my then roommates stunning winter wonderland wedding. In 2005 during my freshman year of college, Erin was my outgoing, running-obsessed roommate who unfortunately due to my athletic schedule and her journey into the sorority world, I rarely got to spend time with. Yet just 15 months ago, we connected through facebook when we realized we were getting married only months apart and we could talk about all things weddings with one another. I had the pleasure of having lunch with her a few weeks ago seeing as she and her husband Casey live downtown Chicago and when she told me she'd love to share her photos with me, I thought picking photos to share with you would be so incredibly tough. But then I read her recap and tears rolled down my face as I sat here sipping my blackberry Izze at Starbucks.


Life is funny in the sense that we sometimes cross paths with people in the most unexpected ways imaginable and that these chance encounters can touch our hearts in the sweetest of places. Erin you were a stunning bride and your wedding was filled with absolutely beautiful and meaningful touches. I am beyond honoured to share your big day with my readers and am grateful to call you a friend. Enjoy the photos from the talented Jess of Jessica Cornman Photography and don't forget to read Erin's long but insightful and touching recap at the end of the post. I know we're about to dive head first into spring here and I am showing photos from a snowy wintry wedding but I couldn't resist; this feature may just be my fave yet. Enjoy!


Erin's something blue was her blue toe nail polish. Her pearls belong to her Mother and the brooch on the necklace was purchased at the same store she bought her dress from. She also wrapped her bouquet in the same bonnet she wore to her christening as a little girl. I absolutely adore that first photo of her reaction as her Dad sees her for the first time that day. I think that photo is by far my favourite from the almost 1,000 photos I skimmed through. P.S. How beautiful is her ring?


No first look for these two. Just a fabulous display of love the old fashioned way :) P.S. I know I say this  in almost every real wedding feature but Erin and Casey can you please get this photo of you and your bridal party made into a canvas? The snow on the trees, Erin's fur shrug, the girls in the shawls and their pretty bouquets with the perfect punch of colour; it's winter dreamy-ness at it's finest and it makes me very happy. The letter H cake topper was purchased off of Etsy.


Erin's fur is was a wedding gift from Casey. I think it's the most chic accessory for a December wedding, wouldn't you agree?


Some fun portraits in the Michigan snow. Just another gorgeous snowy day in a mid-west winter!


For all you baby's breath fans, you'll love the centerpieces Erin picked. I happen to have a huge soft spot for the silver chargers and black linens paired together with gray linen napkins. Such a sleek colour scheme that really adds a touch of elegance.


Form the bride: "Casey and I tied the knot after six and a half blissful years together. From our party days in college, to our move to the Windy City; through job changes, roommate changes and more, our relationship has always been rock solid. I don't think anyone was surprised when he proposed and fourteen months later, we finally said "I Do" in front of 250 close friends and family members. Though Casey and I are happily living in Chicago, we're both from the East Lansing, Michigan area and wanted to get married at "home." We were married by the pastor of my family's Catholic church, and our reception was held at The University Club of Michigan State University, where my family has celebrated countless graduations and my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary. Its cozy, brick-exposed interior (and fireplace) was the perfect backdrop for our winter affair. 

I told everyone that the reason we chose a winter wedding was due to Casey's class schedule; he's pursuing his Master's in Business Administration degree from the prestigious University of Chicago and has minimal breaks throughout the year. But, the truth is that I'd always wanted to get married at that time of year. To me, there's something romantic about the cold, snowy weather, and I like doing things a little different. Plus, I knew we'd be able to score off-season wedding prices and have our pick of vendors because seriously, who else is crazy enough to get married on December 18th? Our wedding style was simple, classic and elegant. I wanted it to feel traditional but boast a few unexpected, unique twists, like our black table linens and chair covers, LBDs on my bridesmaids and a baby's breath-covered cake table. I drew inspiration from the countless wedding blogs that imploded my Reader, always keeping my sophisticated vision in mind. To that end, our color palate was a mixture of blacks, whites, grays, and silvers.

I spent a considerable amount of time fussing over wedding details, but I really shouldn't have: our guests are still raving about our incredible band. They really were that good. So exceptional that my brother and his fiance booked them for their September 2011 reception. I will never forget belting out the lyrics to "American Pie" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the dance floor with my high school friends, the University of Michigan/Michigan State fight song duel that ensued or dancing the polka to "Roll Out the Barrel" with my grandfather. No, I didn't have a bouquet of white ranunculus, letterpress invitations or Chiavari chairs, but I do have some memories that would have not been possible had we chosen to put our money elsewhere. The band was our biggest "splurge" and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Nor anything else about our wedding day. It lived up to all of my expectations and in many ways, exceeded them. And the best part? We're happily married and I have a lot more free time on my hands now that the wedding blogs have been cleared out of my Reader (with the exception of Hey Gorgeous, of course!)"
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Cake - Cake Art / Flowers - Smith Floral / Entertainment - Main Street Dueling Pianos / Videographer - Shutter Spreed Productions / Groom and Usher Attire - Men's Warehouse / Photographer - Jessica Cornman Photography / Dress and veil - Allure Bridals from Becker's Bridal / Bridesmaid Dresses - Jasmine Bridal from Becker's Bridal / Venue - The University Club of Michigan State University

22 Lovely Comments:

Taylor said...

wow! i absolutely love her white fur stole! what a chic way to keep warm! and how original, too. i do love the simplicity of the baby's breath centerpieces!

Unknown said...

Love the fur, how perfect with the snow outside:-) She's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Yeah, winter wedding! I was a winter Bride too & let me tell you, not many winter weddings get featured. There is just something about snowy wedding photos that I adore. Love, LOVE!

Erin said...

so beautiful - i love her pearls & fur what a perfect winter bride look!

Megan said...

there is something just so romantic about a white winter wedding. love it.

ASHLEY said...

I love winter brides :) So pretty Rhi!!

Lou said...

Really sweet and that picture you refer to is just pure emotion - very touching. I love winter weddings and am all for fur stoles and candle light! That's how my wedding was... Lou x

Anna Elder said...

gorgeous. i love how winter weddings come out. i wish i could have been brave enough for that. i think the bridal party picture would be gorgeous as a canvas!! love her ring, fur stole, bridesmaid's necklaces, her dress, and the scenery!

mallory said...

oh.my.goodness. these images are so heartfelt and beautiful! I don't even have a man yet, but too bad we can't ever bank on winter wonderlands in North Carolina :)

HiLLjO said...

Wonderful. That first pic is a great reaction shot. How wonderful you guys reconnected. I, too, found a Nebraska bride I went to school with getting married around the same time and now we blog together!

Nikki said...

Beautiful wedding! I LOVE the idea of adding a brooch to borrowed pearls. What a great way to update a classic!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Awwww...what a lovely wedding. I have recently gotten in touch with my best friend who I lost contact with for 14 years. We were the best of friends since 6th grade until my sophomore year in high school. She is helping me come up with ideas for my wedding too, but my wedding isn't until 2013. I still have a long way to go and lot's of planning to get done. I love the pictures on this post. I was thinking of doing a winter wedding too, but I was leaning towards ice blue, putter, silver and crystals. =)

Kelly said...

Beautiful, Erin! It's awesome that your pics ended up here. :)

A Crimson Kiss said...

What a gorgeous wedding-you're right, the baby's breath centerpieces are so, so good!

Liesl said...

Loving the winter look of this wedding...how magical!!!

Liesl :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Absolutely beautiful...and that winter backdrop...WOW!

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Wow! The snow, the fur, the baby's breath... perfect winter wedding!! :)

jacin {lovely little details} said...

i love winter weddings!

georgia ~ gi gi said...

How wonderful for you two to reconnect!
Just a gorgeous wedding! Love Winter Weddings!
xo
gi gi

Erin said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments! I am completely and utterly tickled by your compliments and kind words. It is a true honor to have our wedding featured here by the lovely Rhi. Her readers are the best!

xo

Ashley said...

awww i loved reading her perspective! my parents got married in Decemeber, too. so romantic!

Claire Gallam said...

That cake is MAGNIFICENT!!!