DIY Twine-Wrapped Mason Jars


I feel like I'm a little late in joining the rustic chic party but hey better late than never right? In celebration of my latest project in the works which I shared a bit with you here, I thought I'd give these twine-wrapped mason jars a try. After all I certainly love wrapping and gluing anything I can around vases. This project was so easy peasy that you too can create your own with whatever kind of jar, twine and ribbon you want to use. The supplies are few as all you need is some glue (either crazy glue or you can use a glue gun), ribbon, mason jars, flowers and of course, lots and lots of the good stuff. Also known as twine. Oh sweet sweet twine. I heart you.


The jars I found were from Hobby Lobby as was the twine. I purchased the shorter jars since I was looking to save a bit of cash if you know what I mean, but I think taller jars would have looked really cool as the layers of twine would have crawled up the sides of the jar a little bit higher. Here are a few of the steps I took to wrap the twine around the mason jars. The most important part is obviously fastening the twine to the jar when you start and finish wrapping it around. I also made sure to wrap the twine over and across the exact point where I glued the start of the twine to the glass. This sort of anchored the twine to the glass and allowed me to wrap the twine sooner than it would have taken me if I had waited for the glue to dry. Patience? What's that?


Then you can make the twine sort of wrap around in a diagonal pattern over the first layer of twine. I did this by wrapping the twine in a figure 8 pattern over and over again until I felt like it looked right. And with that you can tie a pretty ribbon bow over both layers of twine to make the little jar flower-ready. Imagine a navy and red ribbon for a nautical them wedding? I think I may have just inspired myself. Love it when that happens.


Et voila! A few carnations, some baby's breath, a spray rose and pink stock complete the look.


Happy crafting!

41 Lovely Comments:

Naomi said...

Love this idea...and it really does "easy peasy"! Love it!

Unknown said...

I love how its twisted diagonally! So sweet!

kellyhicks said...

So pretty! Love this simple but interesting idea. I'll have to try it out!

Michaela said...

I love it! I'm going to try to make my own this week (: So cute. Mason jars are my fave!

Brooke T said...

This is beautiful! I need to do this :D

Rachael Sedory said...

These are gorg, Rhi! Love it!

Erin said...

love love love!

Unknown said...

These are so cute. I think they'd look great on my table!

Kate/MagnoliaRouge said...

Love these... I need to do them for my table!! Gorgeous!

Taylor said...

gorgeous and rustic. what an easy and inexpensive DIY!

Lauren said...

Love this idea! I didn't think it was possible to make mason jars more awesome, but you definitely did!

Nikki said...

Cute! I may make some for myself ;)

Liz said...

SO CUTE! You're a genius.

Mini Baker said...

gorgeous! those colors are the exact look/feel of my wedding in october! stay tuned for pics ;)

Shana said...

ooo! These would be perfect for our wedding/shower! Thanks :)

Brancoprata said...

Such a fun idea and it looks so easy to do!!

Alicia@CharityWedding said...

I LOVE those! Such a cute project!

apparentlyjessy said...

Such a simple idea, yet so visually effective. The babys breath in the arrangements is lovely. Pity I can't find mason jars in Australia :(

Michelle said...

What a fun and easy DIY!!! Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!!!

April of Smidge Of This said...

Love this idea - so pretty and rustically chic. I've been collecting glass jars since we got engaged for a project like this!

Oh, My Darling said...

What a perfect way to display springtime bouquets!

Unknown said...

Very sweet! I'll have to file this fun idea away until I have a good excuse to make some :-)

Unknown said...

those are perfection!!!
that's a stowawayforthebigday.

Thank you!

xoxo

ASHLEY said...

This is so freaking cute!!

A Crimson Kiss said...

These are stunning, and the second layer is so structural and gorgeous! Love your chic take on rustic!

Megan said...

These are adorable! Probably the cutest mason jars I've ever seen!

peachkins said...

so cute!

Aleah + Nick Valley said...

This is perfect! I could see these spread along one long family-style table in a field for a late summer celebration or filled with fresh French tulips. Lovely!

Free Pretty Things For You said...

SO SO Lovely!
I heart it!

Tash said...

Oh I adore these! Very pretty and clever.
Natasha xo

LB said...

oh i love this! it's pretty and feminine while still rustic!

Tonya Peterson said...

Love it. I am getting more excited every day. Honestly can't wait to meet you!!! xoxo!

Ashley said...

so pretty, i may just have to make these for the wedding shower I am throwing my sister. good idea, rhi!

{The Perfect Palette} said...

such an easy project, but wow!! this is truly stunning, the perfect blend of rustic + pretty. loving it!!

Melina said...

Aww, I love these. Definitely on my project to-do list! Thanks for sharing the step-by-step :)

clearlytangled said...

i really like this project. rustic and clean and simple.

Felecia - Orlando Wedding Photographer said...

I was wondering how you were going to pull off beautiful with that twine, but you certainly did. The diagonal section that also twisted really added dimension to the ensemble and the bow finished it off perfectly. Very beautiful!

Felecia- Tampa Florida said...

I love this! The figure 8 pattern really makes all the difference!!! Thanks for sharing it looks great :)

Desi said...

Hi, here's a tip for next time you have a celebration and want to use mason jars. I noticed you said you got yours at Hobby Lobby....way too expensive for their jars. Next time go to your local hardware store and go into the "canning" section; there you will find 10 or 20 canning jars boxed at a very reasonable price. Your buying several so you get a better price. Hope this was helpful! ;)
Desi

Claire Gallam said...

What a great idea!!

Nicole-Lynn said...

So cute! I love twine and burlap! :)