How'd You Get Where You Are Now?

I've recently been getting a ton of emails from my sweet readers wondering if I can share my advice on breaking into the industry, starting a blog and.or starting and managing a wedding-related business. Girls who love weddings, chicks who dig decor, people who obsess over the prettiest shade of pink as I do, they all wanna know how I ended up where I am now. And I can't help but reread their messages over and over again until the lines get a little blurry because I am first of all completely honoured and blown away that people look to me for this kind of advice (honestly, I am 100% flattered), and secondly, when I look at "where I am now" and try to define that pinpointed place, all I see is a desk thrown against the wall in a 900 square foot partially packed-up apartment, my pet kitty sitting by my side and more big dreams any person my size could fit in their head. On a daily basis, I feel so little in this big big world.

I didn't wake up one day and say "I'm going to be a wedding blogger and style weddings." Instead I made some risky decisions and instilled a ton of faith in myself to believe that where I am now is essential to getting where I want to be say tomorrow, next month or five years from now. Each day I wake up with a purpose to do something, one thing, any thing, small or large, that'll get me one step closer to where I think I belong. For too long I was after something that didn't feel like me but rather felt like something that was expected; for years I ran in circles living my life like I was the only person in the world waking up each day, without a purpose or plan. Too many times I played the role of people pleaser, only to forget myself. It wasn't until I got over these made up expectations that I was able to focus on me, my pursuit of self fulfillment and was able to start living the life I had imagined as being ideal for me

It's not my purpose or goal to be the best blogger, biggest wedding planner or the most savvy stylist in the industry. I didn't start on my journey thinking this would be a way to make great money; if that was the case you'd find me in med school (yeah right). This blog, my business, my goals, purpose and impact on others are incredibly important and meaningful parts of my life that continually motivate me to be better, to keep swimming, to never stop believing that even the loftiest of dreams are capable of morphing from where you are now-ness to where you want to end up in the future. And that's precisely how you get to where you're going regardless of the past.

What I do know is I believe in hard work, sacrifices, and trusting your instincts and heart. I believe in creating goals, big goals, goals that other's would scoff at but goals that make you feel like like your on top of the world (which is one of the reasons I've never shared my goals with anyone. They are so delicate and near to my heart). I'm still so new to this journey and day by day learn how to go about things the best way possible, but this is my crazy, beautiful life and when I look around at my "now", pet kitty, small apartment and all, I can't help but feel completely at peace with my life. And for that I am one exponentially grateful and entirely happy chick.


Above photo of the sky. On our wedding day immediately after our indoor ceremony. Thanks to the fabulous Amanda Wilcher.

36 Lovely Comments:

Karena said...

Rhi so gorgeous!! I adore this image!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and join my fashionable Giveaway from the French Basketeer!

Amanda said...

Aghhh Rhi! Thanks for writing such an awesome post. You are so inspirational! (Does that sound corny? Eh, oh well!) If we both lived in the same city I'm pretty sure we'd be besties. Just saying ;)

Megan said...

you are inspiring my dear.

jacin {lovely little details} said...

i get the same question all the time and you did a great job at answering it, my dear. keep dreaming and you will continue to inspire others as you have, while doing your thing. you rock :)

Aleah + Nick Valley said...

We applaud you for opening up! We've learned over the years that a dash of inspiration, a dollop of determination and drive, and a huge dose of creativity will take you places!

Stephanie said...

I loved the inspiration. It made me think about my life and reflect upon what I'm doing, where I'm going and how if certain things didn't happen I wouldn't be where or who I am today. Thank you for the reminder!

Piril Maria said...

Truly inspirational. I think you are greater that great.




♥ Love,
http://thebookness.blogspot.com

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Of COURSE people ask you for advice- you are so amazing, dear! Your hard work clearly pays off : ) And you know how true these words ring to me... about following your heart and doing what you love. I need to take them to heart!!! :) xo

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Tiny! You are amazing at what you do and I am ver proud of all you have accomplished so far. I am excited for the future and all the great things coming our way. Keep reaching for the stars! Oh and that's an awesome photo! Ily. -APB

April of Smidge Of This said...

You're doing amazing work and I just can't wait to see the even more fabulousness that comes of Hey Gorgeous in the future!

Lisa said...

Thanks for this post, Rhi!! Maybe it'll make you laugh to hear that the first time you commented on my blog and I saw that you were the bride from an SMP wedding that I'd saved on my favorites list, I got SO excited and texted my sister haha! I've been visiting Hey Gorg daily ever since and am blown away by your beautiful content, and most of all, your sweet personality. Thanks for doing what you do!!
Lisa

Lindsay said...

It's amazing to see how far you have come with Hey Gorgeous Events in such a short amount of time. It truly is inspiring!

Megan said...

Beautiful post, Rhi! You have done SO much in such a short period of time. You are simply amazing and I can't wait to see where you and Hey Gorgeous goes!

Megan said...

PS: Just remember me when you make ten million dollars!

Sandy a la Mode said...

what a sweet and inspiring story! :)

Laura *You Stir Me* said...

It's like you read my mind. I try to wake up every day with one goal in mind - be true to yourself and the rest will follow. It's really helped calm me down and silence some of my fears of trying to break into this industry. I know there are tons of supportive people here (you, my dear!) just waiting to help and give advice - thank you!

Unknown said...

you are awesome.
thank you.

xoxo

Emilee Sutherland said...

You are such an inspiration Rhi! And I'm so blessed to have you as a friend =)

Kelley @ Kelley Maria said...

You have a great perspective on life and your words are inspiring! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with all of us. (I sure learned something from it).

Michaela said...

So inspiring, Rhi (: And let me say...you were born to do what you do! Love you oodles!

Unknown said...

I ♥ this post! Sweet, wise & encouraging words!! I hope everyone has the courage to reach for their dreams, it's soooo worth it.

Alicia@CharityWedding said...

Such great advice Rhi! Stay true to yourself and what you want is so important. You are an inspiration my friend and I can't wait to see where the future will take you - or where you will take the future!

Nikki said...

I loved this post. Straight to the heart for me. Small steps is where I need to start. I want to own a venue someday and the business plan part has me stuck. Only the first of many obstacles and I can't jump through the hoop.

Fear is like the shackles of life I tell you! ;)

Ashley said...

Girl, I so need to hear more things like this! I still wake up without a plan or purpose, and maybe that's happened because I have stopped dreaming like I used to. Over time I've learned that if I dream too big, that the disappointments are even bigger. But that's the great thing... because if you dream big, then you face the biggest rewards in life! I need to sit down, think about my goals... and seriously make them happen. No more of this drifting nonsense. It's not getting me anywhere. Thanks for the inspiration!

A Crimson Kiss said...

Incredible advice from one outrageously inspiring woman.

Vanessa King said...

AMEN to the whole entire post. Love that you are following your dreams. I intend to do the same with mine, its the only way to live <3

Melina said...

Very well said and so inspiring! I really felt like I was reading what I have been wanting to say for so long to people! I can't tell you how many times I think of how to explain why I have my dreams or how I got my dreams, but I just realized I don't have to explain myself. I just have to live it! This is such a perfect post that I am going to bookmark and come back to for motivation. Thank you so much for being so generous in sharing your heart will us! God bless!

ASHLEY said...

I adore you :) XOXO

chandra ~ oh lovely day said...

great post! I think a lot of us feel like you did before you jumped into the wedding industry 100%. I still have my "day job" and hate it and if not for the dependency on that paycheck I would not do it. So blogging for me is an escape and creative outlet, but it is really nice to see that you have turned it into a career and love it. Hope to do the same one day :)

Katherine said...

Rhi! What a great post :) This speaks to me so much, because I am going through a transition in my life to follow my heart (and work my TAIL off). It's taking a lot of trust in myself and support from my loved ones, but I feel so ready to break out and do exactly what I think I am meant to do. Thank you for reassuring me that its not going to be easy, but it will be worth it. Keep up the great work - you're so inspiring to so many! Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right!

xoxo

bijouxbride said...

Great advice! I aspire to, one day, turn my love of design and weddings into a full time career! For now though I am happy to work late nights and weekends to get there, slowly and share some inspiration with other brides and likeminded people!

Natalie Franke said...

Such a sweet post! Thank you for sharing your sweet & incredibly down to earth perspective! Love!

Kate/MagnoliaRouge said...

You have such a way with words!! Great post! I have no doubt that you will reach those lofty heights one day soon with your attitude :-)

Unknown said...

Well put and very inspiring:-)

Blair McLeod said...

so proud of you and what you have made for yourself and the philosophy you stand behind!

Events by Satra said...

Loved reading this! Just came a across your blog and love it. Thanks for sharing!