DIY Vintage Framed Chalkboard Signs

Lovely

Lemonade anyone? A few months backs, I ordered some vintage frames off of Etsy for a wedding project I had in mind. However, once the frames arrived I didn't quite see them working the way I had originally envisioned. Stumped on what to do with them, the fabulous Apb suggested turning them into chalkboard signs to use at our wedding. Genius, right? Why didn't I think of that?

Matt

So we asked my neighbor Matt, to cut us some wood inserts that would fit in each of the 5 different sized frames. Matt just finished high school and is an amazing wood worker heading off to study carpentry at college. He cut the inserts out of Masonite in about 10 minutes and did a perfect job rigt out of his workshop in his garage; he made it look so easy!

<span class=

You want to make sure you have the following supplies as well; your inserts and frames of course, regular old chalk to write messages on your signs, scissors to trim the ribbon if you plan to add ribbon to your frames to hang them, glue to adhere the inserts to the backs on the frames, a screwdriver to remove any nails or hooks inserted in the back of the frames, and last but not least chalkboard paint. I used the spray kind from Michaels as opposed to paint you use a brush with and it worked well. I sprayed 2-3 layers of paint on each insert and still have a little under half a can left.

Supplies

After spraying each wood insert with a few coats of paint, you want to let them dry for at least 24 hours before writing on the boards and gluing them into the frames. You can use the screwdriver to remove any little pieces from the back of the frame. Once you have waited to let the pieces dry, you will run some glue along the edges of the inside tray on the frame (where the glass usually sits). Plop in your insert, press down to get the glue to stick and voila! You have a new chalkboard sign :) If you want to use ribbon for hanging or decorative purposes you can glue that onto the frames while the inserts are drying. You know, kill two birds with one stone kind of thing...

StepbyStep

I think we will use two of the frames at our bar; one to tell guests about our signature drink and the other to have a cute little message like Apb loves Rbs (or Rbs loves Apb, we will see :) I have ordered some vintage striped straws and think they will look smashing in a nice cup beside the signs. Plus they will spice up everyone's drinks, no?

Final Product!

I think another one will go on a cruiser table beside the door to the patio (where the ceremony is taking place), that will say "Cards and Guestbook" and here will be our birdcages, guestbook and a flower arrangement. Then one will most likely go on our dessert dresser and perhaps one by the flower petals set up but that's a whole other DIY project I have in store for you :) Have a fabulous rest of the weekend loves! xo

46 Lovely Comments:

Audrey Allure said...

Those are really cute; great DIY!

Just stumbled by your blog &
I absolutely love it! :)
- Audrey Allure <3
http://audreyallure.blogspot.com

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

these are so so SOOOO CUTE!!! gorgeous, cant wait to see the whole wedding!!!! xoxo

Unknown said...

those are adorable! great job!

Unknown said...

That is so crazy, because I JUST made my own chalkboard signs on Monday! Crazy! What I did with mine was got some old framed pictures at Goodwill, then just took the frames apart and painted chalkboard paint on the glass, let it dry, then put them back together. I painted one of the frames gold, too, the other one I liked so I let it stay the way it was. I love the way they turned out, and I can't wait to do some more. I hung mine in the kitchen and wrote song quotes on them. XO!

sara said...

You did SUCH a great job - these look wonderful and will be perfect for your wedding reception! I hope you've had a great weekend! :)

Caroline said...

I can't get enough of your sweet site!!! Thank you for posting this ... I was going to splurge on a chalkboard for my kitchen but now I will do it myself. Sending you a sweet hug! xo

Joie de Viv said...

Great Idea! And Great Work to your neighbor! Love the finished products - it'll be such a sweet touch and something you can keep!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Anna Grostina said...

Hey! Lovely blog!Are you a boy or a girl? :D Did you take the photos on your own? :O

jozen said...

ohmygoodness! thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog, so that i can find yours! I LOVE IT!!!

your newest follower.

xo,
jozen

Julie Leah said...

How stinkin' cute! I'm with Helena, I can't wait to see the whole wedding!! Hope you had a marvelous weekend, lady! xoxo

Unknown said...

Your chalk boards look fantastic! What a great idea. Your wedding is going to be so wonderful I am really enjoying seeing it all come together. xx

theUngourmet said...

What a nice neighbor! The frames are amazing! Oh and I just love that bird cage!

Kitty Deschanel said...

All these photos are absolutely adorable! I wish I'd read this post at the beginning of the weekend rather than right before bed on Sunday so I could make one of those fancy chalkboards!

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Hey my little lovey dovey, I miss you so very bunches and am sorry this sicky bug I have has prohibited me from being your #1 fan club girl~

Your chalkboard DIY is SUPER adorabls and I am sure it will inspire so many, as all your posts do darling! How perfect to use in your wedding, and even more perfect that you can use them as newlyweds for parties and for many years to come!

(so cute that it was your precious fiance who inspired the project :) xoxox)

Know I love you and I'll be reaching out to you this week while I am working in Atlantic City NJ for work thru Thursday.

Miss you doll xoxo

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Your neighbor is adorable errrr ummmm the chalkboard sign your neighbor made is adorable. hehehehe. =) I love all things vintage!

Jacklyn said...

What a great idea! I love it!!!

Super Burbs said...

You are a girl after my own heart. I am in LOVE with chalkboards and this is such a fabulous DIY project! So glad to find your blog:) xoxo

Lilacandgrey said...

these turned out GREAT! M bff is doing the same thing for her wedding-I will have to send her this post :)
xxCara

_ffyona said...

Your wedding is gonna be like so amazing you know? And do i see a bird cage in there?! Coolness. I really enjoy and appreciate DIY elements. And for a wedding, that's an uber extra bonus.

We gotta talk soon too. I am getting a little too busy for my liking! :/

its simple love said...

Awesome tutorial. I have a few frames that I want to do this to. So beautiful and fun. I love the photos you took too. They highlight your creations very well.

Rachael

Lauren said...

Those are adorable!

I BLEED PINK said...

These are so cute!!! Your going to make me go out and get the supplies to this over the weekend.

PS - What nail color are you wearing in the photos?

becca said...

Ahh you're so crafty and creative!
I know I keep saying it, but I cannot wait to see your wedding, all put together. It's going to be so pretty!

Lucy said...

I can tell your wedding is going to be just utterly beautiful! This is an adorable idea and I bet all the guests love it :)

Anonymous said...

you are amazing girly. what can you not do? love the total outcome of your vintage framed chalkboards, just dont know if i can knack it. and your wedding day is gonna be spectacular with all your creative ideas, can't hardly wait to see your photos from that lovely day.

oxox

Unknown said...

I think what was a fantastic idea. And they turned out great! So cute. I love it.

Katy ~ said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea. It is beyond adorable. Oh my gosh, you are so clever!!

Debbie said...

Now I just love this idea! How cute.

Chicago Chic said...

Hello Love! These chalkboard signs look AMAZING. You are so creative!!! Also what a skilled friend your neighbor Matt is! They turned out absolutely perfect and now I'm dying to see more gorgeous details come together for your spectacular wedding.

Happy Monday Darling. xoxo

Rachel

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

That's a gorgeous idea - I love it!

XO
Lenore

Angie said...

Just beautiful!! I do believe your wedding will be the most amazing and creative ever <3

forget.me.knot.weddings said...

This is so cute! Love the idea and what you put together!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! What a lovely idea. Your wedding is going to be so freaking gorgeous.

Melanie@UnravelledThreads

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Another hit! And oh those birdcages. Darling.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Another hit! And oh those birdcages. Darling.

Shelley said...

too cute!! i really wish i could paint a whole wall in my apartment with the chalkboard paint. but this idea seems much more realistic :)

Sarah Larsen said...

Those are DARLING! I'm so impressed. But I would have expected nothing less. :)

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

Super cute!

Punctuation Mark said...

love this project... very cute!

bonafidebride said...

These are adorable!

Ms. Sassy Pants said...

Going to make some soon to hang in my house with some vintage posters :D Thanks so much for the tutorial.

PS - Mr. Neighbor is tres cute!

georgia said...

you are so amazing

::little projects in style:: said...

its so adorable that groomie is as involved as you are!

xx

Felecia- Tampa Wedding Photographer said...

I really like this! I've seen quite a few chalkboard signs as decor at weddings but yours trump them all. Those vintage frames are gorgeous- what a great detail to add to your wedding! Awesome job :)

Anonymous said...

It is my pleasure to say you that your entire posts are amazing and I really love the way you put each and every sentence. You will be rated 8.75 out of 10. Brilliant work,Get going. Your sense of grammar is simply outstanding. Carry on the good work.And yes i have book mark your site www.austinweddingblog.com .

lizzie said...

this is a FANTASTIC diy! you did a brilliant job, it looks great!