DIY Milk Glass


I adore milk glass. There's something so sweet about it and when used in clusters it gives off the most vintage and lovely of looks. Yet, finding real vintage milk glass s is usually pretty hard not to mention expensive; I've seen stores on Etsy selling genuine milk glass for $20-$40 a piece. I'm all for quality stuff but why pay big bucks for something you can DIY for cheap? I just had to make my own to see how gorg it really would look.


I started by finding various glasses and vases in different sizes that had unique textures. I had to Goo Gone most of the stickers and price tags off of the vases because they were placed directly on the glassware (where the spray paint would go). Most of the pieces I found were from the Goodwill; I spent under $10.00 for all 6 pieces and spent a few weeks finding what I thought to be just the right finds. Using lots of newspaper, I set up my workstation then I used Krylon white satin spray paint to apply 2-4 coats of paint on each piece for a solid white and shiny finish.


I loved this piece that I think used to be a fancy wine glass of some sort. The detailing on it is so pretty and the scalloped edges are amazing. I had to be careful with spraying too close to the glass though because I had a few drips of paint on some of the skinnier and taller pieces (like the stems). I also used some extra coats on the green glass goblet that I scored for 69 cents; the green took a while to fully cover up. 


I let all the glasses dry for about 30 minutes to an hour before removing them and filling with water. I then picked some fresh purple, pale green and pink hydrangeas from my Mum's garden and put them in each of the vases created a cluster centerpiece of sorts. I love em; what do you think?


Hope everyone had a relaxing weekend. The end of summer feels so close! I sometime wonder where the times goes; in just 47 days I'll be parading down an aisle in my all-lace gown (which by the way is being remade by Enzoani since my original dress was 3.5 inches too short; thank goodness for that!) Be back later this week with a recap from my incredible bridal shower, some more fun projects and perhaps a recipe or two. Happy Sunday!
    
     

32 Lovely Comments:

Caroline said...

I absolutely love this and your DIY posts!! Hope all is lovely XO!

Kimber said...

I love this! And now my mission this week is to hit up Goodwill and get some glasses to transform!

Kalee said...

I was lucky enough to inherit my grandmother's milk glass collection and like you, I just adore it! There is something so dainty yet casual about the pieces!

kate said...

Such a great idea! It can really jazz up a boring piece. Love it!

Velvet Cupcakes

Simone - honeyandfizz said...

These are gorgeous! Love the different shapes :)

Sarah said...

Great idea Rhiannon! Hope you're well, and I hope to see you soon. I'm so excited to see your wedding pics and all of the creative ideas that are going into the wedding.

p.s. You're site is gorg!

Sarah said...

Ack!

*Your site is gorgeous.

...Not doing too well this weekend with mistakes.

Brianna! said...

I LOVE THESE
soooo gorgeous!
xoxo
bB

Kerry said...

They look so beautiful! You did a fantastic job - I never even though of doing DIY milk glass! You're so smart (and talented of course!) :)

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I love this idea! It looks so real. I absolutely love milk glass. You have a beautiful blog. I'm following!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

If I had the space I would totally have MORE milk glass.I adore it. p.s. I miss your bloggy face!

Mommara said...

What a great idea, They came out so pretty

theUngourmet said...

No. Way! I would never have thought to do this. Just beautiful!

Rachael Sedory said...

I LOVE this!This makes me want to work on a project now!

apparentlyjessy said...

Rhiannon you are a very clever gal! I love how each vase looks, and all for such a thrifty price!
I adore hydrangeas, blue ones are my favourite, but pinks are just as nice!

Lucy said...

This is such a clever idea! The finished results are beautiful and elegant :)

Scientific Housewife said...

What a great idea! I love them!

Wendy said...

They turned out beautiful! And I LOVE the pop of pink with the flowers! So pretty.

Nicole-Lynn said...

I've seen this done before and love the idea.. it seems to be so easy to do and the results are great :)

Debbie said...

I think - gorgeous! I am a HUGE fan of spray paint. I love it so much. But, I've never tried this. I will now. Thanks!

and flowers pick themselves said...

i've been wondering where the time goes as well. two weeks from today i'll be starting my fall semester. crazy!

gorgeous post :)

xo Alison

keely @ luxe + lillies said...

So pretty, I was just admiring some today in a store... they turned out great!

Ashley said...

these are gorgeous! i want to make some for my own house :-) Thanks for sharing!

Blair McLeod said...

thats amazing! -- i'm thinking, "why didn't I think of that." these look great!!

Eva said...

I didn't know that was called milk glass! Very cute :)

http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Brilliant!

clearlytangled said...

LOVE. these turned out beautifully! xoxo

Little Miss Martha said...

I did the same for my wedding, except I painted them all a mocha brown.

Found you through Amanda Wilcher's blog...aren't they the greatest?!? Your pictures were LOVELY!!!

CrystaL* said...

These look amazing! What a great idea. I must say though nothing can replace milk glass for me as I have 30 piece in my house! But it can be expensive I will not lie about that but I am all about hunting for them myself to cut down on the cost.

I am going to pass this idea on to my sister though who is a wedding coordinator.

Cheryl @ Vintage Serenity said...

thanks for posting this great tutorial on milk glass!! I blogged today about it and linked to your photos! Hugs and Blessings! ~Cheryl

Shower Doors said...

OMG . .
Really the great designs. And the pots are outrageous. Specially the pink flowers make them looking cool and awesome.
You really have the great skills of presentation. And that is the soul of your blog. Bub bye.

Kelley @ Kelley Maria said...

I have already looked at this tutorial, but wanted to come check it out again when you mentioned that you used similar green glass for this project. These look so great grouped together! I just scored three milk glass vases from my mother in law. They were sitting in a box in the garage that she was getting rid of! I scooped them up so fast! Love random finds like that! :) hehe