DIY Wedding Welcome Bags


Ever since we knew that Apb and I would be having out of country guests attending our wedding (he is American; I am Canadian yet I graduated University from MSU and now live back home in Canada) we were dead set on having Wedding Welcome Bags as the perfect way to greet our guests come wedding weekend. Originally I was dead set on throwing together screen printed cotton canvas bags because the idea was completely adorable and really, how hard and expensive could it really be?

I thought we could get a really cool screen print in some sort of vintage pattern with our initials or something. Then our guests could reuse the bags long after our wedding is over. Yet, costs started adding up after I looked into prices, and frankly I didn't know if guests would even like the idea as much as I did; wouldn't a throw away bag be easiest for everyone? After all, who even wants a canvas bag that reads 'Andrew Loves Rhiannon So So Much' (that's a joke Apb).


So to solve my problem my fabulous Mom picked up some brown paper tote bags from Michaels that come in packs of 13. They are the perfect size and because of the brown paper are great for stamping and writing on (unlike coloured bags that have a slippery-shimmery finish on them that doesn't allow ink to dry). Yet as much as I love stamps and ink, I really wanted to incorporate a little message on the bags via some shipping tags from Staples (if you've never really found a use for shipping tags then find one ASAP because these things are oh so versatile and way too much fun). There are two sizes of tags to choose from and each pack comes with 100 tags for under $4.00. Yes please and thank you very much.


Then my Mom really outdid herself. She bought a ton of goodies to stuff in the bags like...

{Organic raspberry, coffee, orange and coconut chocolate}
{Individually wrapped biscottis}
{Mini Volupsa travel candles}
{Packs of eucalyptus bath salts}
{Salted packs of peanuts}
{Packages of white Tic Tacs}
{Various flavours of chocolate toffee crunch}
{Pamphlets of downtown Burlington where everyone is staying}
{Face towels pressurized into a roll that you dampen with water to use}

And I got to stuffing these bags as fast as I possibly could. I really was way too excited to see how they came together complete with all the goodies in them and the adorable little embellished shipping tags tied on the handles; with black lace of course. And now that I am seeing how nicely the bags came together I can't even believe I contemplated canvas tote bags. Brown.paper.bags.all.the.way.


I stamped the corners of the tags with a fancy hole punch, then wrote "Welcome. We are so glad you're here. Enjoy, Love Rhi and Andy" on them. Now all we need to add is some Toronto and Niagara Falls postcards with personalized messages to each of our guests (like how to make sure they check out the incredible gelato place directly across the street from their hotel because it's truly heavenly). The morning before the first guests begin to arrive I will drop off the basket of bags to the hotel to make sure the staff on duty hands them out upon guest's arrivals. 


I think I will use these bags in the future for gifts and parties and loot bags since the possibilities are endless when it comes to jazzing up the bags. I also hope this post helps anyone else who may be in a rut trying to find a cost-friendly alternative to packaging multiple bundles of gifts or items for people. I know this kind of post would have been helpful about two month ago for me :) Happy DIY-ing everyone!

23 Lovely Comments:

Unknown said...

These are super cute! What a great idea!

Wendy said...

These.are.fabulous! You are so thoughtful and the bags are an all around wonderful idea! They look great to boot! And just so you know I am a HUGE fan of brown paper packaging ~ bags, paper... whatever ~ it is so easy to personalize and "dress up".

Rachael Sedory said...

My cousin had welcome bags waiting in our hotels room for her wedding! I had never seen it done and I loved it. She put info about the city we were staying in and treats for our hotel room. I love that idea! I like the brown bags. They are super cute.

Simone - honeyandfizz said...

What a wonderful idea! The perfect, personal touch :)

theUngourmet said...

These goodie bags are a super sweet idea. I would never have thought to do this for a wedding. I love it!

Unknown said...

Your welcome bags are fantastic. It is such a lovely and thoughtful gift to give to your guests. I love the way they have turned out and the tags are wonderful! xx

jordan said...

wow you are really good at this. i hope i have a long time to become the woman i'm supposed to be if this is what is going to be expected of me when i get married! ha!

ps. the diy below is FAB. i did the lace-vase you posted a while back...that was fun/super cute! but i think this one has won my heart!

Laura said...

wow! i'm so impressed! what an amazing job! :)

Lilacandgrey said...

these look incredible!

Anonymous said...

So adorable and I love the effort that went into them! Your guests will fell so welcomed. xo

Nicole-Lynn said...

They turned out so great! I think your guests are going to really appreciate them and love all the contents! :)

We're also using brown paper bags! I might use the ones from the grocery store and put them inside out, staple them shut and decorate them a little. Even though I'm 9 months out, I was too excited to do these and picked up some maps, brochures, coupons to local restaurants near our venue a couple months ago! :) When the wedding gets closer I can't wait to put ours together!

its simple love said...

Oh how adorable! I love the idea of welcome bags! I have only heard of gifts when you leave. These are adorable and I love the feel of the bags themselves.

Rachael

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Those look great! My sister did that for her wedding, and so did my cousin. :) A nice welcome.

Unknown said...

LOVE the tags for the bags!!

Natasha said...

love love love it--we are doing brown kraft bags as well...they give it a fun, simple look, and then we're going to jaz them up with all of our hometown southern delights for all things nashville!

Unknown said...

These are just FANTASTIC!!! Brilliant job Rhi :)

Jayme said...

We had the same bags for my wedding ... filled with different "Yooper" things and my mom baked homemade banana bread (for family) and dropped them off at the hotels. Super cute idea- will you recieve many thanks :)

Unknown said...

So adorable! I am all about the kraft bags, use them all the time, so eco-chic! Your guests are going to be so spoiled! XO!

keely @ luxe + lillies said...

So cute Rhiannon.... your guests are going to LOVE them!

clearlytangled said...

i use these very same bags from michaels for a lot of my gift giving / craft packaging. they really are incredibly versatile. your welcome bags look fantastic. your guests are going to love them!

A Chic Critique said...

Darling blog! I came to it from Blair @ www.wild-and-precious.com. I love the sweet, feminine aesthetic. Beautiful pictures.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had a great time Tiny! The only thing I wish I could have changed about that day is that I could attend so I could eat some of that food because it looks delicious! PS your mixer works great! Wish you were here to use it! lol

APB

Char said...

What a great idea, so cute!! Can't wait to see more pictures of your gorgeous day and all the preperations. Wedding planning can be hectic and stressful, it was for me, and I can imagine more so for you with dealing with the out-of country relationship. Things will work out and will be all ok.