On Feathers and Happiness

I sauntered into work one day this week feeling, well, not up to working standards. I was tired, grumpy, a little under the weather and the last thing I thought I could handle was close to 30 children, running around on a Monday night - not to mention a Monday night following a Halloween weekend. One by one each of my kids walked into the gym visibly more energetic than the week prior, and I cringed slightly, thinking the night would take a bit more enthusiasm on my part than I was up to giving.

During my first class, one of my extremely talented and sweet kids, Julia was bouncing across the trampoline, her toes perfectly points, legs perfectly straight yet for whatever reason she would not stop giggling. Turn after turn she would step up to the trampoline, with the biggest grin across her face, a grin only an eight year old could make look so innocent, and she would bounce, bounce, giggle, bounce, bounce, giggle, creating a repetitive pattern that sort of started to rub me the wrong way. I started to get frustrated. She wasn't paying attention. She was clearly too preoccupied on something other than staying safe on the trampoline. 

I like to continually think it's the simple things in my life, or in anybody's life, that always create the happiest and most memorable of moments. The moments you cherish for as long as long as you live and the moments you reflect back on when you're needing a little inspiration, a pick me up or a reason to feel thankful for the incredible things that have blessed your personal journey in life. 

Finally I asked her what could possibly be so funny. Julia jumped up into the air performing yet another perfect jump. And in between her bounces excitedly blurted out: "Today was the best day ever! My friend and I? Well we found 10 whole feathers." I looked down and tried to hide the ginormous grin on my face. You're so right Julia. That day really was the best day ever.


And speaking of best days (and because I always like to include a photo with my posts) here is a candid photo my neighbor took of Apb and I as we walked back to our wedding venue between the ceremony and reception. We had only been married about 30 minutes by this point. But obviously, they were the some of the most perfect 30 minutes of my life. And guess what the best part is? My hair doesn't even seem that bad after all. Have a fabulous weekend my loves xo

18 Lovely Comments:

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Hi there my doll - I almost sent this to you via twitter but I have been so away from your beautiful blog that I felt it most important to comment here - YOU. are. GORGEOUS! Even more stunning now more than ever because you are so radiant. Thank you for sharing your beauty with us......All good things to come, thank you for sharing your happiness with us!!!!!

Liesl said...

That story about the 10 whole feathers is precious, and isn't it amazing how something so small can be so wonderful when we are younger...I love that simplicity!

As for that lovely picture of you and your husband of 30 minutes at the time...Stunning!!!

Liesl :)

little luxury list said...

I love how kids can totally realign our perspectives and put us in our places! The simple, positive perspective can be the best one.

You are GORGEOUS dear!

I hope you can certainly guest post some time too! xoxo

Katie Nelson said...

Your hair looks awesome in every picture I've seen so far. Forget about any qualms you have about your wedding day. Your smile shows that, no matter what may or may not have gone awry on your wedding day, it was perfect for you. A picture may say a thousand words, but these pictures say a million. I wish I could have what you have, and feel love the way you feel it - even for a second. Good luck to you and Andrew ! I miss ya!

Katie

k said...

That is such a precious story, thanks for making me smile :) And that picture is GORGEOUS. I love candid photos :)

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written! Kids can teach us so much. What a gorgeous wedding photo... love it! xo

Lori said...

Love this photo and I agree with Trish ~ you are gorgeous! First I thought your kiddies were just hopped up on some sweet things from Halloween but this story is the best ~ oh carefree days of collecting feathers ~ a good day for sure. xo

Caroline said...

I love that photo!! You guys are such a cute couple!! I love when sweet and tender moments are captured. I would have to say I am all about the candid shot. Hugs to you my sweet friend who lives far away!!! Enjoy your weekend! XO

Anonymous said...

I agree with the simple things in life creating the most memorable memories.

You look absolutely stunning by the way :)

Kelly-Anne said...

Hey there! I work with children every day, (33 to be exact) and I can totally relate to how some days they can almost seem like too much to handle! I am grateful to have them as they really do put things into perspective for me. Sometimes I have to remind myself to go easier on them, which in turn reminds me to go easier on myself. Which brings me to thoughts on your wedding! I know you have been trying to be more positive about certain things, and if it helps I showed some girl friends your blog. (Some just recently married, others newly engaged or soon to be married). Some are jealous of your hair(and not only the hair!) and another is now doing her hair like yours. I guess my point is that it is so easy to look at other people's pretty pictures and feel you may have made wrong choices or what ever, but just remember they are looking at yours and feeling the same! I think you are just a woman who finds beauty in so many different things, it can be hard to settle and be satisfied on any one choice. (Speaking materialistically of course!) This is a long comment so I will only say one more thing. One thing you can be sure of, and should have NO doubt of, is that you were absolutely breath taking. I lied, one more thing. You chose such a classy, timeless (and still managing to be unique) look, that twenty years from now you won't be saying, OMG, what was I thinking! You will be thinking, my God, what a perfectly beautiful day. xoxo

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

What a sweet, sweet post. I really enjoyed this! And you were goooorgeous on your wedding day, my dear!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm looking forward to keeping up with you, as well!! :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Julia could teach us all a thing or two. I know I told you before...but you looked beeeeeeautiful lady!

Francis Family said...

First of all, your hair is AMAZING!! You look freakin awesome! I LOVE that picture! It almost made me cry. Seriously. I'm pregnant remember, don't judge. ;)
How dare you compare yourself to me and say you look terrible! I should yell at you. Your awesome girly.
And what a cute story. I love those moments when children make us realize life doesn't have to be complicated, and the little things should still be amazing, even as an adult. :)
I have to go catch up on more of your posts now!
xoxo

Ashley said...

isn't great how children can give you the best perspective on life? they find the biggest joy in the littlest things. its such a gift!

hope you think of feathers and smile today!

ps your hair rocked!

Blair McLeod said...

thanks for sharing this! tear! loved it!

should be in a chicken soup or devo book for sure!

10 whole feathers!

clearlytangled said...

that picture is absolutely amazing. you look so so beautiful!

also love the story about the feathers. it is the little things !

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I can't wait for you to look back at your wedding photos in 5, 10, 20 years and realize how absolutely amazing you looked. You have no idea! Love the feather story - what a great perspective!

Unknown said...

OMG, look at you.....BEYOND GORGEOUS!!!! You look perfect!!!

Love the story of the little girl....this post made me cry! xx