Christmas Isn't Your Birthday

Dear Santa,

A lot has changed in the past few years. It's like I woke up one morning and life was altogether different. Maybe I had grown up too fast, or held too high of expectations but presents that once covered the skirt beneath the tree now decreased in numbers. That holiday magic that I so treasure every year, well suddenly it went missing like someone came in and raided our home of cheer. Grandpa walked through our front door for dinner, without Nan trailing behind, and I'm not sure who was more heartbroken, him or us. It's not that I want more presents, more holiday cookies, more Christmas carols on the radio; because these things don't mean anything to me. But instead, this year I want to feel the joy of the holiday with my heart. I want our tree to stand proudly over gifts that you can't find online or at the mall. I want holidays to feel real again.

This year for Christmas, I don't want that new flat iron I'd been hinting at. Those Ugg boots I've always wanted but never owned, they don't mean a thing to me. And that pretty little Swarovski bow necklace that's been calling out to me from the store's window, I probably would only wear it a few times anyways. This year, if you could bring my family some happiness, a lot of good health and a little holiday joy, I would be entirely grateful. Please bring my Grandpa the strength to find happiness and the courage to accept our love and support. We're not the perfect family, we don't always make the right decisions and from time to time we surely drive one another crazy, but we're a family, promising to stick together through this thing called life. Santa, please help me to never forget what it feels like to sit at the dinner table with my Mom, Dad and brother. Because one day it's times like these that I'll treasure the most.

Love Rhiannon


A heartfelt thank you goes out to Diana Scott who for the first time in 18 years, captured our family together in our silly ways. Despite the moaning and groaning that day, I'm so lucky Dad dragged us all out to the beach for the photos. A huge thank you as well to Liesl, one of my sweet blogging friends who held up her end of the deal and actually wrote her Dear Santa letter on the first of the month. Be sure to visit her and say hello! Happy Holidays everyone, please make sure you let those closest to you know how much you love them xo

29 Lovely Comments:

Michaela said...

So beautiful, love! I'm right there with you wishing for health, joy and laughter for my family! (:

lucy and sarah said...

What a wonderful letter. A beautiful pic, too. Happy Holidays.

Bri said...

Great post!

And what a beautiful family photo - such a treasure!

Alisha said...

Capturing those special moments, when you look back on them and all you think is "we're an awesome family!" Those are the moments to cherish and treasure :) Love this cute letter. Things tend to change over time and we miss the way it used to be... Makes me all teary inside.

Jennifer said...

This is beautiful, it got me all emotional. I really love the way you write.

Nikki said...

So very sweet. Thank you so much for sharing with us. It sure is easy to forget what Christmas is about. I know I have at one time or another.

I'm late in stopping by to your blog! It is lovely and you have a way with words. Thanks so much for your comment. Happy Holidays!

Caroline said...

So beautiful!! xo

jessica lynn said...

amen amen amen. i lost my dad 2+ years ago (right before our wedding) and christmases will never feel the same. so i feel your pain. wishing you the comfort of eachother this christmas. xoxo

Unknown said...

TRUE! The time with our loved ones is the bestus present of all. Happy Holidays!

Lindsey said...

Are you kidding me?? That's the sweetest thing I've ever read! From one journalist to another, you're a great writer!!! Merry Christmas.

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

Praying for your family. Love the photo of all of you, so great!

Merry Christmas friend!
xx

Holly said...

I love this post! :)

little luxury list said...

Aww and isn't happiness and family the best gift? Happy holidays dear!

Lori said...

Love this post Rhi ~ Merry Christmas to you. xo

Lou said...

Rhi - this is a lovely post - been back to read it twice. I know what you mean - it's amazing isn't it what affects how we enjoy this time of year. I find that the logistics are just crippling for me and I wonder what happened to those easier times. Of course any family loss is so keenly felt at Christmas so I too hope your Grandpa can find happiness. It's hard though....and wishing you a happy married Christmas - now that's new! Lou x

Karena said...

How wonderful and so true!! I must read this to my family!

Thank you for entering my Giveaway from My Sparrow!

Joyeaux Noel!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Scientific Housewife said...

Great family photo!

Ashley said...

This is so true. My parents have never showered us with gifts, but also never left us wanting more. This year they keep asking us what our #1 wish is and both my sister and I keep saying "We don't really want anything, so any gift will be exciting!" My sister actually said "I think I've finally hit the age where it really is more exciting to give than receive." Merry Christmas my dear friend :-)

Jacklyn said...

This made me cry. I was so close to my grammy and I remember going to her house the first time after she was gone. It's so tough. This post was beautiful. Thank you so much.

Christine said...

Thanks for the beautiful reminder to appreciate the people and the little things in your life. I'll be celebrating Christmas today with my family and will be soaking up every single second with them.

I hope you have a great holiday, Rhiannon, and soak up all the love of your family!

Happy Christmas, girlie :)
Christine

Leah said...

thank you so much for your very sweet comment.

xo L

Diana Smith said...

Precious picture of your family! You all look so happy and love each other, what a great family you have!!

Tash said...

What a beautiful post.. and so true for every family. Wishing you a wonderful holiday and here's to all the simple moments because aren't those always the best ones anyway? :) Blessings xox

Liesl said...

This post was absolutely beautiful, Rhiannon! You are so sweet to even mention me, which you did not have to do! :) I really enjoyed reading your letter, and I know exactly the feeling you expressed, and would love for the same thing! Thanks again for doing this, and for being such a wonderful and supportive blog friend! I hope your holiday was everything you wanted and more!

Liesl :)

ASHLEY said...

Happy Holidays to you and your family :)

designchic said...

You are so right...it's definitely having family together that's the important part of Christmas. Wishing your family health and happiness in the new year!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I am so touched by this post! Happy New Year Rhiannon!

Wendy said...

I hope santa gives you your gifts this year :) Beautiful picture!

Roxy Te said...

Hi Dear! Thanks so much for stopping by My Cup of Te :) I just read this post and can totally relate! My husband and I did the whole long distance thing for 3 years before finally living together. Needless to say, I know lots about this tearful goodbyes! Good luck in Chicago and have the most fun being "newlyweds" ;) Happy New Year!