DIY Stir Stick Flags


This past summer I scoured websites and blogs determined to find cute little stir sticks or straws I could buy for the wedding. I really wanted guests to have something cute to stir and or drink their cocktails with and originally settled on this idea. Yet, this didn't seem like the most cost-effective idea and considering this girl has a budget to stick to, set out to find something a little different. Apb ended up getting me my straws (which I still have a lot left of thank goodness. I cannot wait to use these at cocktail parties!) but I never did find stir sticks that I loved both in style and price. So off to the Dollar Store I went and I returned home with a pack of 200 wooden coffee stir sticks, a page of pink Bristol board, a glue stick and a little imagination. 

To make the stir stick flags I cut out an approximately 6 inch long, 1 inch wide strip of Bristol board. I then folded the strip in half over a stir stick making sure to glue the insides of the paper strip so the folded pieces stuck together. Then I cut a triangle out of the end to give the piece of paper it's distinctive flag shape. I wrote a variety of phrases on each of the flags like "Eat, Drink and Be Married," "La La La Love" and "Add Me To Your Drink." I put the stir sticks in with the gray and white straws and voila! Instant cuteness to our bar area. I loved seeing all of my girlfriends walking around with little pink flags in their glasses! Thank you to Amanda for the lovely photos too! What fun and affordable ideas have any of you lovelies thought of or used for personalizing your own wedding?

19 Lovely Comments:

{eleise} said...

OOO these are great! makes me what to go plan a party just so I can use them! =)

ASHLEY said...

very cute idea!

Anna Elder said...

i love the stripe straws trend! im planning on making flags and round tags to put on the straws and sell in my shop! i think you just helped show me that someone might actually buy them from me!! :)

Wendy said...

Good for you!!! They are beyond perfect!

Alisha said...

You are SO creative doll!! Thanks for the cute craft :) I'll be making these for my next party! If I lived in Chicago, we'd definitely be throwing some HUGE parties :)

xoxo

k said...

v. cute idea :):)

Unknown said...

So pretty:-)

Ashley said...

sooooo cute! every girl loves a bit of flair; especially in her cocktail!

;-)

Unknown said...

Too too cute! Would be really fun for a summer garden party, love it! XX!

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

I love this idea! You'll be one of my friday favorites!

Natalie said...

Yes, PLEASE call me Nat! All my friends and family do. :)

And these turned out perfect. Such a pretty detail!

. said...

Such a cute idea! My mom and I both have collections of glass swizzle sticks, I can't get enough of them.

Come by and enter my giveaway for a 5-pack of Softlips lip balm if you like:
just click here

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I might just have to borrow this for coffee stir sticks for my Valentines Day tea party! Coffee at a tea party...I know...Shameful. HAHA! xoxo

Lou said...

You have perfect swizzle sticks! Haha. Come and see my blog today there is a handbag giveaway you might like my sweet! Thanks for the gorgeous comments... Lou xx

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

cute cute cute cute! I heart this idea!

Michelle @ Ten June said...

adorable!!! seriously, love it.

Michaela said...

These are adorable. I'm a firm believer in the little detail and touches that make the day so special! Into my inspiration folder this idea will go! (:

Oh, My Darling said...

What a clever, crafty idea!

Brooke T said...

okay, I was looking all night for cute stir sticks and when I decided to make my own, I typed it in google & Hey Gorg was the first site to pop up.. I should have known. I bookmarked another project from you today too! ha Anywho I have a couple questions: Can you find Bristol board at like a Michaels? and what kind of pen did you use to write on there, i've never worked with bristol board or heard of it :/

<3 thank you!!