Life. Not Resolutions.


I'm a go-against the grain kind of girl. Always have been and probably always will be. Something about being a little different, a bit more unique than the next, is how I've always hoped to present myself to others. Come every January first, I've been reluctant to make any sort of resolution. Usually I become highly disappointed in myself if I fail to reach my set goals each year and rarely do the resolutions I make even last much longer than the beginning of February. I was doing my best to avoid a post about the whole ordeal but yesterday Apb helped me realized that 'goals, not resolutions, are in fact a healthy and important part to living and leading a more fulfilling and happy life' (well at least he said something along those lines). Who knew I married such a smarty pants. We immediately headed to the gym to sweat out our epiphany with what must have been I swear, hundreds of other gotta-work-out-in-2011-ers.

And over a very painful jaunt on the treadmill I realized I hope to make it my goal this year to be a happier, more content woman, wife, daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, friend and coworker. I don't mean that in the sense that I want to be friendlier to those in my life because I am generally an overly kind and warm person, but I want to feel happier from within in all that I do and I want to put others around me first more often. I want to give more, call home more, mail more hand-written letters, give more hugs and share more smiles. I want to brighten more days and spread more inspiration.

I don't want to lose 10 pounds because the number staring back at me on the scale means nothing in comparison to how I feel when I walk up the flight of stairs to our apartment, when I wake up in the morning ready to face the day with a clear complexion and when I put on a pair of jeans and heels to head out to a fancy dinner. I want to feel healthy and beautiful on the inside so that any reflection of myself on the outside matches that of within. I want to eat less pasta and more green stuff, I want to close my laptop earlier at night and head to bed earlier more. I want to become a frequent face at the gym that I signed up to last night. I want my skin to feel softer, to look healthier, to be better.

I want to become fearless. Being fearless feels so good. I want to tackle this new business venture with every ounce of my prettiness-obsessed being and make it the best it can be. I want my blog to be my blog, with no fear of the expectations from anyone on what, when and how I should post. I want to meet new friends in Chicago, invite girlfriends to my house for some apps and dessert, take that road trip to wherever, buy that dreamy duvet cover from Anthro even though I pinkie promised Apb I wouldn't (pretty please Andrew?) I want to do more, live more. And not just this year but for the rest of my life because I want to be most of all three things, fabulous, happy and living my life for every single ounce of it's existence. Happy 2011 blogettes. This girl is off to her first yoga class! xo

24 Lovely Comments:

Emily said...

I hear you. So loud and clear. This is exactly how I feel as well. I'm excited to follow you along your journey :)

Unknown said...

Aww, yay girlfriend! I feel ya! Can't wait to come over for app's & drinkies ;)

love ya!
xx

Anonymous said...

Bronwyn:
I always take the new year with new goals. My philosophy is to make monthly goals as well as have an aspiration about how I will feel by the end of the year. Good plan Rhi! Resolutions imply some sort of pressure, but goals give you something to gage progress and revise based on all the things that life throws your way!

Lou said...

I love the description of an epiphany! I think sometimes you need just that; a moment of clarity in life. Don't fret for one minute that your blog won't be your blog as Hey Gorgeous oozes everything about you Rhi - well atleast what I can possibly know from emails and virtual hugs! You are a kindred spirit and as we always say - take a step at a time!

The business venture will fly - as will you....I have every faith. Lou xx

Alisha said...

You nailed it darling!!! I'm right there with ya. I rarely fulfill new year's resolution, hence I don't really attempt to try. It's about living your life to the fullest! I mean, I want to be able to eat chocolate cake when I want LOL.

Good luck with your new up-and-coming business! You're gonna go far with it :)

Simone - honeyandfizz said...

So well said! I feel exactly the same :)

Unknown said...

so beautiful!! especially being fearless - i need that too. in every aspect of my life (:

Wendy said...

What a great and honest post Rhi! Sometimes those men in our lives do have a good point :) For some reason it seems that making a resolution seems to have a negative connotation, but goals are a definite must have.... even if they are simple. Without goals, whats moving you forward! Love, joy and prosperity to you and your family in this new year! CHEERS!

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

I have thought about that as well. About being nicer and more kind to the people around me. I am very nice and friendly but I think I could be moreso particularly at work. You are an inspiration to me!

Caroline said...

You put that so well!! Your posts always make me reflect and think and I love that. Bisous!!!!

Lindsay said...

I totally agree. Good luck with all of your new goals! I'm sure you will do awesome!!

Jacklyn said...

Sounds like a great goal to me! Have fun at yoga! I can't wait to go back to get back to my yoga class :)

Stephanie Faris said...

Wow. This is incredible...and very inspiring!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic way to start the year and your goal for the year is fabulous. By achieving your goal not only will your life be better but so will the lives of all those wonderful peole around you! All the best for 2011 Rhi! xx

Tash said...

Hooray for you! Wow, that was beautifully written and I related to every single word. You have such a positive attitude, you're going far girl :) Natasha xo

Unknown said...

Amen girly, love this!

Psssst come chk out my post, something is awaiting you:-)

ASHLEY said...

you are going to do great! YAY!

Michaela said...

Love these goals (: I'm inspired by your free spirit and drive to do new things!

Oh, PS. I e-mailed you back sweetheart! (:

annelise said...

Hey gorgeous, happy new year! I don't do resolutions either, I feel they just set people (me) up for failure and I don't like it. I don't see why the first of the year indicates a time to start a huge overhaul. Nothing wrong with goals though, I've set myself a couple of achievable goals.

Looking forward to reading about how 2011 pans out for us all!

Natalie said...

This inspired me so much, I love your goals! I seriously may refer back to this post for a pep-talk every now and then. Hope you had a wonderful Wednesday! :)

k said...

OK, how can Andrew say no to that duvet cover now??? I hope you go get it! I loved this..and I agree with you on everything. (hand written letters are so on my list of things to do more of this year)

Punctuation Mark said...

life is about being happy and that should be our only goal and resolution... the path to achieve it is what's different... great attitude!

Marcie said...

The title of this is just brilliant! We really do need to keep with "life themes."

xo Marcie

Lori said...

I love this post Rhi ~ you laid it all out there and I say Bravo to you! I may have to steal a couple of these myself as I am having a hard time getting motivated.... xo