On Chocolate Cookies and Patience

It was 8:00 pm tonight when I decided to tackle a Martha Stewart chocolate crinkle cookie recipe. One that by the looks of it, would take over three hours to assemble and bake thanks to the lengthy chill time. Three hours? I didn't have that kind of time, let alone the ingredients needed for these cookies. Yet off I went to the grocery store only to find myself thirty minutes later standing in our little kitchen, proudly sporting my new frilly apron, delightfully soaking in the whirling noises of our new stand mixer. Just days before you had made the.most.delicious chocolate chip cookies and even I had admitted that they were in fact the best I had ever tasted. But on this night I wanted to prove you wrong. Because I want to be good at something. No let me correct myself; I wanted to be better at baking cookies than you and I wanted my cookies to taste better than yours.

Yet something went terribly wrong. When I noticed the dough wasn't really doughie (I know, I totally just made that word up) and I peered into the sink to find it held one too many pieces of broken egg shells I knew I messed up. Maybe I was too anxious to really make these cookies the best. Better than yours. But I knew it and hated that I had indeed used one too many eggs. I stomped into the living room where you were working on your paper. With undoughie chocolate batter smeared on my cheek, and a sticky, batter-covered spatula in hand, I said a bad word. And I couldn't help it but the tears came streaming down my cheeks, hot and sticky. I turned on my heels and ran quickly to the washroom. Was I really this distraught over one extra egg? You laughed. I couldn't be serious you asked. Oh but I was. That one extra egg? I was so serious about it it wasn't even funny. I sat on our toilet seat and cried. You talked sweetly and quietly to me through the crack in the door. Told me it would be OK, after all it was only cookie dough. You threw out the undoughie batter when I didn't have the heart to. You put your paper - the one due at midnight - on hold to go out and get more bittersweet chocolate for me. Just so I could tackle a Martha Stewart chocolate crinkle cookie recipe - that would take over three hours to assemble and bake thanks to the lengthy chill time - for the second time in one night. 

The dough is still chilling in the fridge. And when I wake up in the morning I will probably forget about it sitting there because those melt in your mouth chocolate crinkle cookies really don't mean much anymore. Instead your unwavering support, ability to hold me up when I feel like falling down and patience in even the most trivial of times is what makes waking up to you, my husband, the best baker in the world, so beautiful. Thank you Apb for loving me through both the better and the worst and for making sure I crack open two, not three eggs into the batter.


And because your such a babe and a great sport, one of my fave photos of you :)

25 Lovely Comments:

ASHLEY said...

awww how sweet! I am sure tomorrow morning it's going to be fantastic! Tomorrow is another day!

Elizabeth Kaye said...

fabulous.
You already know how I feel about this post as I wrote you on fb, but you my girl are a talent. The way you write. The emotions I felt while reading.
Proud to be your friend
xo

Anonymous said...

Reading this, I just went "Awww... that is so awesome and sweet of him!" It's funny how little moments like these can put everything into the correct perspective. :)

Jennifer Weiss said...

So sweet! You are the cutest thing ever!!

Rachel Elizabeth said...

Justification for marriage: this post.

Seriously adorable. Find me one? Oh, and a cookie too?

xo

Rachel

www.doodleandlucy.com

theUngourmet said...

Awwww! This is such a sweet story. How lucky you are to have a man who can bake! ;) xo

josh scott said...

your pretty jacked eh?

little luxury list said...

Just gorgeous darling!

Little Miss Martha said...

First of all - Baking is hard! It takes time, patience, and the ability to follow instructions which I find REALLY HARD!!!

Secondly, my Mike seems to bake, cook, and create WAY better than me in the kitchen.

Don't worry... we still wow them every once in a while with our MAD kitchen skills and they are always there to taste things even if they don't turn out right too!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Super cute guy you have there.

But seriously - how hard is it to be a girl with raging emotions at all times. It isn't fair that we cry over cookies and blush when we lie.

Guys get to stay cool like cucumbers and we show our emotions ALL OVER our faces.

Gah.

Great post.

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness I can totally relate to this scenario! I find myself in the same situation with baked goods more often than not. On the plus side, they always turn out tasting good no matter how aesthetically unappealing the final product may be.

Your cookies are going to be great!!

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

I think you and your blog are amazing...which is why I've given you a blogger award! :)

Nikki said...

So sweet. He's a keeper!

Anna Elder said...

haha, awwwww. try it again, it'll work!! and im loving the new look and feel over here!!

Anna Elder said...

i think you might be able to convince him!! and the chairs are from Target!! can you believe that? the pillows too, except the owl pillow is from cb2.com. i bought the chairs online. such a good price!

Anonymous said...

It's a story like this that makes you really appreciate / adore the little sweet gestures from the people you love :)

apparentlyjessy said...

Naw, what a sweet and funny story. I have spilt many tears over baking disasters too!

Tash said...

That was the sweetest and that's LOVE! :)
Natasha xx

STYLE'N said...

OMG too cute....and I totally know how you feel. Isn't it crazy how the simple things like making cookies can make us so happy but when it goes wrong it actually makes us quite upset? I hope the second batch is better. We'll have to see some pictures.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Awh honey you are the sweetest! Actually you guys are the sweetest couple! And I've been there too...I can get into my perfectionist mode...especially when doing something creative and then when it doesn't come out exactly right I loose it. So happy that you have such a loving a supportive hubby.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you have a very sweet hubby :) I know exactly how you feel about the baking going totally wrong, I have almost given up on desserts!

Lucy said...

This post is adorable! It truly made me smile :)

k said...

aww what a handsome guy! I leave the baking to mark :)

Ashley said...

what a good guy! pretty sure i would've just laughed and laughed. but thats what girlfriends are for, right?

Lori said...

ahhh ~ how sweet was that!! You are a lucky girl.