DIY Quote Canvas


Our bedroom in our cozy little apartment is rather simple. We have two closets spanning the entire one wall, a bed, a dresser, a window, a floor lamp and a sitting chair; that Andrew loves to use as a clothes hanger of some sort. It's nothing fancy and almost every single item in the room is a flea market find, a quick purchase from IKEA or hand me down. Our dresser is actually a piece my Mom salvaged from a hotel that was renovating and getting rid of all of their furniture. I used it throughout college and we've never really had the time or money to invest in new furniture. While I'm cool with hand me downs, one thing that had drove me crazy since moving in is the huge white space over our bed. We don't have a bed frame and our bedding is white, so everything looks kind of bare, and yuck.


Even our cat matches our room; how convenient right? Since I didn't want to paint another wall in our bedroom, I had an incredibly small budget and I am fairly picky about the kind of art we display I set out to make my own piece. I bought a large thin-width canvas from Hobby Lobby, four little bottles of acrylic paint in a gray shade called "Hippo Gray"some block alphabet stencils and a tube of white acrylic paint. I already had some brushes in my craft box so I had quite the selection to choose from. And I got right to work.


And after lots of careful painting, waiting for the layers to dry, picking out a phrase to stencil on the canvas that would fit (you'd be surprised how hard this was since it took me close to three days to pick something that fit), stencilling and fixing up some areas where the paint got a little messy (our fur baby thought he'd take a walk on the canvas mid paint and when my outburst of a scream scared him I ended up with a cat paw print on the cavas) I think I really like having a bit of love hanging over our heads each night. Ultimately I decided on the line from Train's "Marry Me" since it seemed fitting for our newlywed status and I have to admit I am completely in love with it. Reading this every day makes me want to fall in love with Apb each and every day over and over again.


I think this could be a wonderful way to add a piece of your wedding to your home without using photos or other traditional ways of displaying wedding memories. You could stencil a line form your first dance song or even better imagine creating your own canvas with your wedding date on it for Save the Dates? You could lug it along to your engagement session for some fun photo ops. The spacing on our canvas is a little off with the three lines of letters but I sort of like it that way since our room is a really diverse mixture of things. After all, our marriage isn't perfect either but it was lovingly created just like the canvas. It seems like the most fitting piece of art for the two of us wouldn't you say?

31 Lovely Comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this personal piece hanging in your room and the idea pf capturing a quote, verse or something significant from the wedding into your home. Very thoughtful and inspiring!

PS It's too darn cute that kitty matches your place. I seriously want to steal him because he's so cuddly! :)

Blicious said...

LOVE this!!! My fiance and I make most of the art we have in our house too!
your blog is amazing! love!!! im in the process of wedding planning and it's SO much fun!! i started reading your blog and saw your black lace on your bouquet and died. im doing something so similar. so fun!!

xoxo
b
engagedtobengaged.blogspot.com

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

Love it... Today and every day! I heart word art like that!
xx

Unknown said...

What a great idea hun, love that quote too! :-) What a cozy room.

Brooke T said...

I love it! sooo creative :D

Mommara said...

Love!

Megan said...

obfreakingsessed with your creativeness. LOVE it.

Anna Elder said...

love it!! great job. i also have left the wall above our bed blank because i'm waiting on finding or making the right piece. i love painting. you may have just inspired me!

a little side note: in the 80's my mom was the graphic designer for Hobby Lobby. i don't think they had opened stores outside of Oklahoma then.

Kelley @ Kelley Maria said...

That is so sweet! I love it! The color of the canvas looks great with your pillows.

Marcie said...

OMG, I am in LOVE with this!! I am seriously going to take a quote and make a canvas this weekend! I've been dying to dress up my blah walls, and this is simple enough and fantastic.

Thanks for the awesome idea. I will keep you posted on the progress!

xo Marcie

Wendy said...

Turned out beautifully! I must say, I LOVE the way you photograph who knew paint and paint brushes could be so pretty.

ps. I have those same stripe pillow covers from Ikea :)

Sarah said...

I absolutely love it. Such a sweet song. And the photos are beautiful as well!

sara of TableCouture said...

hey!!! just found your blog love it! love you! I'm a newlywed as well so I can relate...

I wanna do the same in our bedroom, love it...Even if your having a bad day...you just read and smile....

smiles,

sara
Table Couture

It's A Love Story said...

What a fun idea!

Erin said...

oooooooooooh - i just adore this!!! what a great idea!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

awesome idea! =)

Blair McLeod said...

LOVE It!!!

love the pictures you took of the process too! so awesome... well executed my friend!

Jess said...

Too cute! I'm sure your kitty really appreciates changing the decor around his good looks! hehe! :)

Mademoiselle Michael Blog said...

You did great!! A job well done:) I love the quote.
MademoiselleMichael

jessica // union shore said...

i absolutely love your blog!!
i've actually been thinking of doing something similar... now you've got me inspired!! : )

ASHLEY said...

I love this! BTW, you should be a photographer too! Love your photos!

little luxury list said...

Loves it! You my dear are going in this weekend's worthy reads roundup!

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirby Margaret said...

so cool! I have a DIY project in mind for the spring. we have this little side table (that I hate!), I'm going to turn it into a barcart! I also want to paint a wall in our bedroom grey. but since we rent i have to get color approved by the owners, and I'm not sure it's worth it. we'll see...

Ashley said...

so creative! i love that you made that, it inspires me to do something of my own too!

Kerry said...

I love it (and that song) Rhiannon! You're so talented... and I want to steal your kitty. He looks almost identical to my first cat that was put down when I was just 19... and I still miss him.

Tash said...

So lovely and meaningful Rhiannon, love it!!! And how beautiful is your cat!?! :)
Natasha xo

Michaela said...

oh my gosh, Rhi! This is amazing. I love the quote, it's just so cute. It totally ties in the color on the wall with the window (: Great job pretty girl!

Kris said...

Love the song - but better yet how you incorporated it into the bedroom. So sweet!

Unknown said...

I love it so much Rhi!

Alicia said...

First off, I love your site. I found it a while ago I think through a recipe you posted. I love love love this idea!! My boyfriend and I moved in (well, i moved into his apartment) 6 months ago. We've been slowly re doing some things, its a one bedroom, and I am desperately trying to think of some DIY ideas to spruce up a couple spots. I love this simple idea. Definitely will be trying this soon!!