FAQ Friday; and Wedding RSVPs

{The Question} What are your thoughts on online RSVPs versus traditional response cards?


Happy Friday guys and a giant hug to the blogging world for sending me over so many fabulous questions last week. I received a ton about weddings, my life, relationships, projects and so much more. I can't wait to answer then over the next few months to hopefully share some insight with you while hearing your answers to the same discussions. Today I wanted to address the question of traditional RSVPs version a more modern online system of having your guests submit whether or not they will attend your wedding. The always fabulous Blair at Wild and Precious sent me this and I immediately loved this question since I too, struggled with this issue prior to picking out our invitations. via

{Traditional RSVPs} Please don't think I'm assuming you don't know what the heck a response card is but traditionally couples include a separate piece of paper with their invitation suite to serve as the rsvp card for guests. Guests can then check off if they can or cannot make the event, how many people will be attending and in some cases can check off their meal choices (chicken or beef, as an example). Guests then slip the card into an included, addressed and stamped envelope that gets mailed back to the couple-to-be so they can construct their official guest list. The fun part, in my opinion, of having a traditional response card is the endless possibilities for designing your response cards and really infusing personal touches to this part of your invitation suite. For wording help you can visit this page here where they have some helpful hints for couples looking to create their response cards. And for a rad selection of unique and beauty-ful invites and save the dates, check out Oh So Beautiful Paper. Gosh I adore this site!

{Online RSVPs} I'm a huge fan of using modern day technology to either save money and.or make your life easier. Which is exactly why Andrew and I skipped traditional RSVP cards and instead used my personal e-mail address to keep track of guests who could and couldn't come. We included a line at the bottom of our invite that asked guest to please RSVP by a requested date to a my e-mail address. Since we didn't need the extra envelopes, postage and hassle of having our guests take a trek to the post office we saved, in our minds, a bit of money and a lot of stress. My favourite part of this system was having really sweet e-mail dialect with guests who would not only e-mail me to confirm their attendance at our big day, but would chat with me about my excitement for the wedding day, tell me how much they were looking forward to their weekend in Canada and so forth. The e-mailing system also allowed guests to let me know their attendance while asking me any questions they had about travel, accommodations, wedding attire, etc. It was really exciting for us in the two months prior to our wedding to see the e-mails come rolling in. You can see the post I wrote on our invitations along with photos here.

What about you guys? Are you for the traditional route of response cards or a more modern spin on things?

20 Lovely Comments:

ASHLEY said...

This couldn't come at a better time! I have a bride who were are going back and forth with what kind of RSVP to include in her invite! I've passed along your link! Happy Weekend!!!!! XOXO

Nicole-Lynn said...

I think online RSVP'ing is great! We're sticking with the traditional route though. We won our invites so we just stuck with what we had.

Megan said...

i REALLY wish I had known about your blog...or wish it existed..when I got married..It would of been so helpful!!

Also, thank you so much the sweet comment on my blog!! I always get a little nervous doing new things with the layout, posts, etc and your comment was JUST what i needed to "hear"

xx

bailey said...

Yay! So glad you're in favor of online RSVPs...we used weddingwire.com for our website and their guest/RSVP tool is AMAZING! I also enjoyed the notes people would write, I have a whole folder saved of them in my email! I think our guests (well the ones that RSVPed, but that's another story!!) really appreciated the convenience.

Anna Elder said...

these are so cute!!! what a great idea...and im going to have to pass this along to a bride friend. one of them reminds me of this really fun save the date i did for a destination wedding.

Blair McLeod said...

girl this is perfect!

i think we did email when i got married.. weird i can't remember!

but that sounds so fun to get to interact with your guest that way before the big day!!

Unknown said...

We did the traditional way, I know it's more expensive and not very "green", but it was exciting getting them in the mail! But I'm all for either way! :-)

Michaela said...

That's a great idea to keep in mind! Since everyone these days are on the computer 24/7 it's definitely not as much as a hassle! Heading to that paper site now (: XO

Miles Of Style said...

so beautiful! i love dreamy slightly traditional wedding stationery like this.

k said...

I would definitely be open to saving money and doing an email one! I agree, getitng all those emails would be so fun :) Hope you are staying warm and safe over there!!

jordan said...

this is totally great, and i completely love your blog. confession: i have been so anti-girl/wedding/love lately that i haven't looked at your blog in a while. but it really is too good to pass up. just saying :)

clearlytangled said...

we opted for rsvp postcards for our wedding. i can't say that i like one method more than the other, really, but it was exciting to receive growing numbers of responses closer to the deadline.

Anonymous said...

I love your suggestions - very good way to save stamps/paper. Definitely will keep these in mind for the (very far) future!

Unknown said...

I like online RSVPs for many reasons, mainly because you save paper & postage. We were worried about the majority of our older guests who aren't tech-savvy so we went the traditional route. I was happy we did because so many people included sweet notes that we will keep & treasure. Our very favorite RSVP included a drawing from our one & a half year-old goddaughter!

Blair McLeod said...

in light of one of my friend's wedding they are in... how much money should you ask/expect your bridesmaids to spend on all the festivities - dress, showers, batchelorette, other day of stuff??? i mean, it seems like it is getting ridiculous!

Brooke T said...

I definitely am doing the online RSVP thing :) At first I wasn't going to, but so much less expensive and everyone has computers these days!

Christine M. said...

We're tossing around the idea of only RSVP as well. Like Koru Kate, we're concerned about older guests who aren't tech-savvy. For those who opted for online RSVP, did anyone do anything differently to make it easier for older guests to RSVP?

Rhiannon Bosse said...

Hi Christine!

We did the online RSVP option and for older guests we simply called and chatted to them about the wedding and asked if they would be making it. We only had three older guests who didn't have access to a computer and that was my Grandpa, my husband's Grandmother and one other guest. I also included my phone number on the invitation suite so guests were able to call me :)

Hope this helps :) xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhiannon,

Including your phone number on the invitation suite is a brilliant idea. Thank you so much for the suggestion! So far, your wedding planning advices have been helpful. I'm so glad that I came across your blog!

Christine M. said...

Hi Rhiannon,

Including your phone number on the invitation suite is a brilliant idea. Thank you very much for the suggestion!!