Pep Talk Tuesday {Blogging Edition}

Click here. And if you haven't already done so, you'll find the first post I ever wrote as a blogger nearly two years ago. It's humbling and refreshing to often check back to where I came from, to see how I've evolved into the woman I am, to see how my writing, passions, blogging style and personality has changed in more ways than one, for the better. I've experienced a handful of the typical bouts that bloggers go through. I've wanted to click on the 'delete' button and pretend I was better off without the whole blogging thing to begin with. A been there, done that sort of approach. I've felt intense disappointment, deep confusion and a slight sense of sadness, when I've lost a follower, failed to reach a specific set number of comments or posted content that seemed less than exciting or worthy of your time. I've sat for hours and hours typing until my fingers have literally spasmed up, trying to make it around to every single commentors blog to return the favour. I've breezed through more designs and headers than I can even count on one hand and even switched the title, domain and content of this blog just last Christmas. I've struggled with my online identity, my place in the online social circle and the purpose, my personal purpose, behind putting so much time, effort, and heart into this little dot com I call home.

I know I'm not every bloggers cup of tea. I rarely talk about fashion or post Polaroid photos of weekend adventures with my girlfriends. I blog a lot of text-heavy posts and am not afraid to share my feelings, some feelings that some people tend to shy away from because they're not always easy to respond or relate to. I can't say I don't love comments and new followers because the sense that any blogger gets from knowing that someone out there is reading what they have to say, is one of the many sparks that lights the fire under the behinds of us busy little bloggers. We blog because we want to be heard, we blog because we have something to share, say or sing about. I blog for these reasons. And so many others that I couldn't possibly fit into this one post.

I have to say I owe a lot to Blair, one of my closest online friends for her insightful wisdom, loyal friendship and ability to bring my mind and efforts back to a place where they belong. Last week, prompted by my feelings of inadequacy as a blogger, I went to her for support. As usual she went above and beyond to put a smile back on my face which also prompted a new About Me section that better represents who I am. I don't wake up at 7:00 am to head to my office and day job only to return home at the end of the work day to my laptop to check in with my blog. This blog is not only an extension to my business, my brand and my personality but it's essentially a huge part of my life, my work and my purpose. Without it I probably wouldn't have ever even discovered my passion and who knows what newsroom I'd be stuck in, pursuing some sort of path that's way off track from the dream I know I'm now following.


Today, whatever you're feeling, whatever you're blogging about, whatever lights your fire, whatever your passion is, whatever makes your heart so sing so loud you feel like dancing around in circles, make sure it's good and it's right and it's pure and that it makes you happy. Because without happiness, life couldn't possibly be as rewarding, fulfilling and fun as the version I'm living right now. Be passionate, be real, and be nothing except you. Everyone else is taken.

To another fabulous friend and inspiration, Beth Kaye who has instilled in me, an endless amount of courage and motivation to not only go after my dreams and goals but to let me feel beautiful when I most needed it, thank you. This girl is doing big things, people. I am so honoured to have her as a friend, business partner and peer to share some of my exciting news with next week xo

32 Lovely Comments:

No Model Lady said...

Okay, this just made my heart sing:) So lovely and so true!

Bri said...

BEAUTIFUL picture! And so true ...

ASHLEY said...

I love your blog! and you :) Smile!!

Liesl said...

Just finished reading your lovely post, and I have to say that you are one of the bloggers, since I really began blogging steadily, that I look up to and who have inspired me!

I just love that you take the time to write to everyone and that you are so supportive of others, always offering encouragement! Whenever you have a new post, be it "text heavy" or full of pictures, I get excited, and know that I will love it...especially your honesty!

Plus, your beauty shines from the inside out...I do love that picture of you, so natural and oh so beautiful!

Thank you for sharing as always!

Liesl :)

Lesley Rials Napper said...

I love this post- it was so real and honest. I think every blogger- new or veteran- will find this post relatable. It sounds like you have a wonderful support system in blogging and your business and that is such a blessing! Keep up the great work!!

Micaela said...

you are GORGEOUS!!! personally i adore bloggers who talk about "life"-- and that includes the things others shy off about.

so keep on blogging, keep on TEXTING ;) because i love a blog with substance.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Do you want to know something funny? We started our blogs on the exact same day! :)

Such a beautiful and honest post. You're the absolute best and I wish you nothing but happiness and success. xoxo

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Love this post. So honest and definitely nail on the head. Gorgeous pic.

Rachel said...

I LOVE this post so much. Seriously, so much. Your blog is definitely my cup of tea, always love reading what you have to say. Keep it up, girlfriend. So blessed to have found this blog!

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

amen! nothing is worth doing unless it brings happiness, and I come here and visit because you are REAL...thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this! You could not have written it at a more perfect time. I started blogging this past summer and have many times wanted to throw my hands up in the air and just keep a journal! But like you, I have a friend who always knows the right thing to say to keep me motivated. Writing should make you happy, and if it does, then keep doing it! I love your blog and have been inspired by your journey, so thank you! :)

Caroline said...

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!! Look you gorgeous friend!!! You are so beautiful and your posts are so true! xo

little luxury list said...

Such an eloquent post dear! You know that I'm actually somewhat shy on the blog and do love pictures but I appreciate the frankness and genuinely heartfelt thoughts with more personal bloggers like you.
Follow your passions, always. I owe you an e-mail soon!

k said...

Aw, I have so struggled with the same things, I think it's part of the process when you really invest in something. You are amazing though.

annelise said...

Thank GOD you don't do the kind of posts that every other blogger does! I love the posts that are honest and raw and real. Keep doing what you're doing.

Blair McLeod said...

girl i love this. your honesty is so beautiful! love you!

Megan said...

hey love! thank you for the sweetest comment on my blog :) I highly recommend the in home nightime picnic. :)

That photo in this post is LOVELY. xx

Lou said...

Have read your new 'about me' - whaaaat you don't like broccoli??? I am not sure we can go on together then Rhiannon. Kidding. I love your post and I love the list and I love your whole attitude. Next time I feel unsure about this whole blog thing I am going to come back to this post. Lou x

Ashley Hasty said...

So I'm new to your blog. I just stumbled across it today and what a funny post to begin reading a blog on. Not funny haha but funny in the sense that as I was reading your post about not being sure about your blog I was simultaneously falling inlove with it. So happy to have stumbled across your blog today. It was the perfect day to *meet* you.

<3 Ashley
www.ahastylife.com
ashley dot hasty at gmail dot com

Libbie said...

Thanks for posting this. As a new blogger myself, I often wonder why (with only 7 followers) am I even wasting my time, but photography and blogging about lovely things is my passion and I need to keep at it, even if its just for me.
You are an inspiration and I look forward to reading your blog every day.
Be well!

www.mylovelysurroundings.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I loved reading this Rhi, it was beautiful. You are a very good and very honest writer, one of the many reasons I love your blog xx

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

This post was SUCH an inspiration to me. I understood every. single. word. Seriously.

Blogging has changed me, in a really, really good way. I am so thankful for the confidence it has given me - a confidence I've never had before... ever! Being heard and read and *gasp* LIKED is a great feeling. And I feel such a responsibility to my readers.

Ok, I'll stop before this comment becomes (more) epic. I just felt like sharin with ya. Have a great week pretty girl!

Barbi said...

Huge encouragement! As a fairly new blogger, I feel completely off-track sometimes. It's so nice to know that I'm not alone with those feelings. xoxo

Wendy said...

I think this entry speaks volumes. I've been blogging on and off for 7 years so I know it takes a lot of love and dedication. I also know that you wont enjoy it unless you are being true to yourself.

Ps- I would kill for your legs. :)

Rachel Elizabeth said...

I love that you speak [type] from the heart--it's rare in the blogging world where everyone tries to pretend when they sneeze glitter comes out.

Chin up!

LuLu said...

I'm just like you when it comes to wordy blogs... I'd rather get my thoughts all out there and appreciate you are not afraid to speak your mind! you go girl!

Nuha said...

Seriously, what a great post! I can relate to feeling like I'd like to just "do without" the whole blogging thing. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I know I'm not ready to stop blogging. Thanks for such a wonderful post :)

xoxo

Alisha said...

"I blog a lot of text-heavy posts and am not afraid to share my feelings"
"...knowing that someone out there is reading what they have to say.."
"Be passionate, be real, and be nothing except you. Everyone else is taken."

I LOVE these lines!! Sorry I'm late. I'm behind on reading, but girl, you can seriously write! Very encouraging and uplifting for all bloggers out there! Thanks Rhi!! :)

kellyhicks said...

I can definitely relate. sometimes i think about completely deleting my whole blog haha. in those moments i remind myself that it's more for me than anyone else and that's simply the best.

Tash said...

So beautifully written Rhiannon, and so so true! And for the record, you are my cup of tea :)
Natasha xx

Lori said...

This post is so truthful ~ I really love it. I blog because I love it and I love visiting other bloggers although sometimes it is a week-end event now instead of a daily one. I think we all spread ourselves thin sometimes and we have to sit back and go wow ~ what am I doing "this" for ~ which not only applies to blogging but to other things in our lives. Thank you for putting it out there and although I love pretty pictures ~ I adore the written word. xo

Anonymous said...

I love your "text-heavy posts". Not only do we get a chance to see your passion / creativity behind your business, but we also get a glimpse of your personal thoughts...and that's what makes the blog that much more intimate :)