FAQ Friday; and Infusing Personality Into Your Wedding

The Question: How do I incorporate all the elements of a traditional wedding but still make our big day our own?


A sweet twitter friend sent me this question today thanks to my lack or preblogging and all I could think of was why didn't I think of this? Surely this is one issue so many of us struggle with while planning our dream days. How can we avoid the chandelier clad trees, the cake pop infused sweets tables and the perfectly placed within mason jar stir sticks so we can stand out a little? Not that I don't enjoy the above mentioned details but hey some people like to be a little, or a lot different. Like the gorgeous above bride who had ghost chairs for her ceremony in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Now that my friends, is thinking outside the box. To date it's my fave unique detail captured perfectly by Orange Girl Photographs. Here's my short and sweet take on infusing personality into your day.

{Start Big} Source out unique venues, pick a unique date (like a winter wedding, or a Friday or Sunday party) or opt to have a wedding that strays from the traditional ceremony-cocktail-hour-reception structure. Some options include picnic weddings, stand up cocktail receptions, weekend long get togethers, wedding brunches or dessert receptions. Opt out of having a wedding party, or choose a blush pink or dove gray wedding gown. Narrow down some of the larger elements you're comfortable with changing and switch it up.

{Start Small} If sticking to a traditional venue and a Saturday date is for you then focus on making the smaller details be all about you and your partner. Is there something unique from your first date that could transfer over to your wedding? (For example, perhaps you and your husband met in the candy aisle while picking out peach ring candies. Have a signature drink at your wedding where the glass is rimmed with peach ring candies instead of an orange slice). Maybe you and your fiance love to ski and met on a skit trip. Use a pair of old skis for guests to sign and leave message on in lieu of a guest book and long after the wedding you'll have a cherished memento hanging on the wall that's sure to generate lots of conversation. And the list goes on for creating small unique details.

{Traditional-Sm-aditional} I don't even know whats considered traditional anymore. I know the first kiss as husband and wife is pretty universal, as is the walk down the aisle, and of course so is the white gown. And so forth and so forth. But these are the things that I consider to be traditional. For you perhaps traditional means wearing a dress your great grandmother wore generations ago; beading, lace, sleeves and all. Maybe you and your groom will walk down the aisle together, to your fave rock song. Perhaps you'll skip a cake altogether and instead toast one another to a tequila shot; something you did the night you first met. Tradtional carries different definitions for everyone. No matter what you decide to do on your big day, it's going to be incredibly personal to you and your new spouse because there are so many little intricacies and details that combine together to create a distinctive final product.

What was the number one most unique element to your wedding day, guys?

15 Lovely Comments:

jacin {lovely little details} said...

i'll defend the use of mason jars in our big day til i turn blue in the face :) these are what made our wedding us, no matter if others had used them before or not. we're new englanders and new englanders can their own jam and go clamming and "tag saling" which means garage sale/yard sale to find vintage goods. so the mason jars for me were a tribute to my grandmother who taught me how to can, and we used some of her very own jars.

i totally agree about making the day about YOU, so whether you find something you like that has been done before or you're blazing the trail yourself with a new tradition, as long as you keep your marriage in mind as top priority, the rest are just details {details that we, as bloggers, have come to adore and criticize at the same time}

happy friday lovely!!

Kristen said...

i just met with our wedding planner last night and some of the details I really wanted to do, we just didn't have the time or money to do them. I'm still looking for fun and inexpensive ways to make the days ours and what i have done so far I'm really happy with, but i think every bride wonders if it's enough.

Shawna said...

You just made me smile since I am having a Sunday evening, "cocktail" style dinner reception & no wedding party :)

Most excited about having an awesome food station dinner & desert set up!

Naomi said...

Rhi, I love the post and I totally understand how easy it is to follow "trends". Remember the shabby chic trend? I loved it but once you see it over and over again {yes I understand the mason jar overload...I like it but again it becomes a trend} it loses it's "oomph" so to speak. As a wedding planner I always try to take what a bride/couple may want or like and make it their own. I love being able to do that. The idea of having an unconventional reception is perfect. Whether it be in a unique venue or it is a cocktail receptions or brunch reception, or even breakfast at night...so many ways to make your wedding uniquely yours. Great post, xo

Anonymous said...

I've been bookmarking ideas and tips that strike my fancy for my big day.

I see so many trends that are starting to not be so unique anymore, but it still doesn't deter me from liking such things.

For now it's mere research, what can I say, I like to prepare! Hopefully, I'll have a better idea when M pops the question. :)

Unknown said...

Ghost chairs- I'm obsessed with them!

I tell Brides to follow their hearts without worrying about what is trendy &/or overdone. Infuse your day with your personalities (yes, don't forget the Groom!) & the day will be YOURS.

Shana said...

Love these photos! Especially because they are of my good friend :)

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a wedding weekend! Getting to spend all that time with the people I love most would mean much more to me than table settings or dessert buffets.

Alexandra @ bWed Exclusive said...

This is a beautifully written post! Everything you said is so authentic and real! You answered a question that many stumble upon when planning their wedding! I'm sure I'll revert back to the post when it comes time for my big day! : )

Brooke T said...

amazing advice as always!!

Something Old, Something New said...

Really good advice! I completely agree that you have to make your wedding your own by having details that match your personality.

Megan said...

Great advice! A wedding is so much better when it's all about the couple.

Jenna T said...

WOW! thanks for showcasing my wedding in the Canadian Rockies. You're a doll!! I also loved YOUR wedding (saw it on SMP too!!) and I've stopped by your blog before. Nice job in advocating for people to think outside of the box. I had a really hard time getting my family to accept that I was having a somewhat nontraditional wedding BUT they all agreed after that it was the most personal and love filled affair that they had ever been too. If there is one thing that I can suggest to other couples... HAVE A SWEETHEART TABLE!! It was one of the most amazing details that made it intimate and lovely for my hubby and I. xoxo Jenna

Steph {bubblerock} said...

Great advice and point... That's right. Every wedding is the same and different. You have personality and uniqueness as a couple and there will always be a way to make your big day unique, even though it follows a pattern seen everywhere else.
Important thing is to think about what you really want to achieve and how you want to feel as a couple on the day and then just run with it!
Great post Rhiannon.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for posting my question Rhi! I had been going crazy trying to make our wedding different (but still traditional) from all the rest that I was losing sight of the big picture-- that I'm marrying the guy who, just by hearing his voice I knew I was going to marry. So even though I'm still trying to make it uniquely us, will it matter if the flowers aren't the right shade or someone doesn't like the dessert? Not one little bit! xo