My Office Redo {Part 1}

This my friends, is a little awkward. Showing you photos of our little unfurnished, undecorated and rather dingy apartment that is. I feel sort of naked and the photos? Well they just ain't pretty. And I just said ain't. Ew, Rhi. Ew. I gave a little shout out on Twitter asking you guys if you wanted some progress pictures of my attempts to make my first office serve as an inspirational work space and the results sort of blew me away; seems you guys wanna watch this little baby morph into something pretty just as much as I do. Let's go!


This doozie of a room is my office. It's supposed to be the 'master' bedroom in our 1,000 square foot apartment but the layout is tres crappy. There's a bathroom door in one wall which you can see above, an entry door on another, a closet door on a third (where I am standing to take the above photo) and a window on the fourth wall which is off to the right. Our large queen size bed would have had to go under the window had we of decided to make it our master. No thanks. Also, the 'spare' bedroom has bay windows. Which Apb and I love having in our bedroom. So the master has become my girl cave. Three cheers for girl caves everywhere!

Now let me inform you a little on the joys of renting (as if you didn't know). I can't wallpaper anything (sad face), the carpet breaks my heart with it's ugliness (this girl wants hardwood) the doors are dark nasty faux wood (I despise them) and the list goes on. I do realize things could be way worse but I have a weakness for pretty surroundings. So this little project to spruce up my space has become a task of clever design and thinking a bit outside the box; two important qualities of any successful stylist, no? First up: we have the paint. And the painter I hired on contract. Aka my husband. I picked a Martha Stewart gray called Nimbus Cloud for three walls and a Behr pink called First Waltz for the accent wall behind my desk. P.S. I'm not normally as messy as the photo shows. Promise.


The door to my closest directly above, I am hoping to remove and replace with something a bit more neutral like perhaps a curtain or even nothing at all since my closest is fairly organized and my wardrobe is in my opinion a mixture of fun patterns and colours. The desk and chair are both from World Market and my milk glass vase filled with fresh tullies is vintage. And yes indeed that is a pile of approximately 23 Hershey Kisses wrappers from the deliciousness I ate today. Thanks for noticing my chocolate addiction.


Like mentioned above behind me will be my pink accent wall. I picked the wall colours to match my branding and because well, I love em and they continually leave me happy and inspired. Behind me will be a white shelf on the pink wall, filled with various sized frames and canvases of the shoots and weddings I have done. In the corner where you see my husband painting, will be my client area with a seating section, throw rug, side table and cubed IKEA bookcase (I don't care what you say they are affordable and great for organizing tons of your stuff). I have a fun collection of cake stands I am hoping to show off too and a few other quirky plans for making this office pretty cozy so stay tuned for more progress posts! Thoughts so far? Xo

47 Lovely Comments:

Blair McLeod said...

LOVE the colors. LOVE what you've started and love your vision!

Mel said...

Can't wait to see the final product - go pink walls! :)

Cris of Kiss My Tulle said...

I can totally see your vision and am excited for future pictures. I, too, am a GIANT fan of the Expedit bookcase from Ikea. Chic. Clean lined. Affordable. The trifecta of awesomeness.

Alisha said...

Beautiful. Love that you're matching your colors. Your desk is absolutely adorable. Love. Just love.

xoxo

postcards and pretties said...

love your desk Rhi. I'm in the process of redecorating my home office too! Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Naomi ♥ said...

Well of course it's gorgeous! xo

Jessica said...

LOVE the desk!! It's looking great so far!

Adrianne said...

Only one question. Where did you get your desk? I too am just finishing my office and that desk would be perfect!!
Adrianne
Blessed Events NY
blessedevents@optonline.net
www.blessedeventsny.com

Barry said...

Love these photos Rhi. This is going to be gorgeous!

annelise said...

Don't flowers make so much difference to a room, no matter what state the room is in? I love the choice of colours for the walls, it will look so good when it's finished.

Alicia@CharityWedding said...

I love it so far and can't wait to see the end result! I love a good before and after session!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

My super duper powers of intuition are telling me that this office is going to be *fabulous*...or just the fact that *everything* you touch turns out fabulous! Forget Midas, I want the Rhiannon touch! (c:

Andrea Dozier said...

I'm excited for you, love hearing your ideas! I am redecorating too & love the inspiration :)

Natalie said...

I looove it! Love that desk and chair. Thanks for sharing with us! Please keep showing us progress on the abode, it's inspiring!

natasha {schue love} said...

Gosh I just LOVE this desk...every time I see it, I just want it more and more! I have faith that this office transformation is going to be a stunner!

Soulful Mama said...

How exciting! Love that you're showing these pics. Can't wait to see more progress :-)

I hear you on the rented apartment carpet - arrghhh!

~ Clare x

Michaela said...

I love gray!!! It reminds me of your nail polish! It's going to look so great. Is the accent wall going to be wall paper or that pink color?! Can't wait to see it!

k said...

I love it!!! I can't wait to see the finished product :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

I love where you are going with this Rhi and particularly love the colour choice...can't wait to see more :)
x

Little Miss Martha said...

Can't wait to see the finished product! :) I'm sure it will be Gorgeous just like everything else you do!

Brancoprata said...

Can I say I'm a bit jealous? The office already looks great... i can only imagine the final version!!!! Can't wait to see it!

Lilacandgrey said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel! you may or may not know I moved into a new home in Novemember and have recieved many requests to show pics of the home, but I just don't feel comfortable b/c nothing is finished! Maybe I follow in your footsteps and share at least my office with everyone ;P

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

oo! im excited to see the final reveal! i love your desk :) xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

Kerry said...

So far so great lady! I'm loving all of your ideas and of course the colours are perfect! Love that your adding a client space and an area behind your desk to display photos.

I'm excited to follow the progress on your lovely work space! xx

Megan said...

I LOVE it so far!! Love LOVE that chair too! Looks comfy! I can't wait to see the finished product!! :)

Unknown said...

Looks like it's going to be a quite beautiful & very soothing space . . . just perfect for the wedding world!

Anastasia Marie said...

It's already looking so good. Anything you put together will be gorgeous!

tami {at FabulouslyWed} said...

It's already looking quite lovely. I love it! YAY you!

Jushora said...

Love love love. Be still my heart. My fave colors!

Kelley @ Kelley Maria said...

It is going to be so dang cute! I just know it! Have fun :)

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

Can't wait to see the rest! I love your desk!

Kristen said...

i can't wait to see the rest! that's a perfect gray for a wall

Lauren said...

It's gonna be SO cute! Can't wait to see the finished product!

cindy* said...

i LOVE the gray, I am gray wall obsessed. I just helped my bestie paint her first house...the large living space and hallway are both the softest gray...love it Rhi!

It's going to be so, so lovely!!

Megan said...

Rhi!!!!!!!!!!! It looks amazing already!! I'm not lying! I love the two color choices. That pink accent wall is going to be fabulous! Keep posting updates...I love them!!!!

Ashley said...

Love the colors! That Nimbus Cloud color is amazing... and the pink accent, perfect. (:

Can't wait to see it all done.

Laura *You Stir Me* said...

I can already tell the room is thanking you! The gray and soft pink colors are perfect and will really make all your details (especially the cake stands!) pop! I hear ya on apartment carpet - it's a sin but if there is anyone who can disguise wall to wall carpeting, it's you my dear:) Can't wait to see the finished room - girl caves rule.

christine, just bella said...

First off, a belated congrats on the move, Rhiannon!! I hope you're settling in nicely. Your office is looking fantastic... I am in love with that beautiful blush pink wall that is going to be behind you!!

Melina said...

I can tell it is going to look great! I wish I can have a room to myself. :)

Liesl said...

Looking lovely, my fabulous friend! Very clean and streamline which I love...can't wait to see it finished!!! Also, I think it is wonderful that you matched the colors to your branding...perfectly picked!

Liesl :)

A Crimson Kiss said...

It's coming together beautifully! I just adore that milk glass vase, and I too am a sucker for easy IKEA bookcases! Can't wait to see from the new place!

Char said...

Love the colors, the space (though renting can be a nightmare I know you will make the BEST of it!) and love your vision! You are so creative and I love your ideas!

jacin {lovely little details} said...

lookin good, lovely!! congrats again on the move :) xoxo

Kirby Margaret said...

love the progress! one day I will have an office for myself. I promise! you need a display case or a chest... what are they called. the ones are parents/grandparents have in or near the dinning room that display and hold all the china? you need a mini version for your cake stands and other various decor items!

xo

Ashley said...

go go go go go go! so fun! rhi! i had a pink accent wall when i lived in my downtown loft and you KNOW i don't do pink. It was called Summer Tan and I was in love with it. love i say.

you will be too!

kellyhicks said...

love it - already looks pretty! cool to match it to your branding :) way to make a less than ideal space, beautiful! can't wait to see the finished product!

I BLEED PINK said...

Looks like its all coming together! I know you will give it your magic touch and it will be uber cute!

Where is the desk from?