Pep Talk Tuesday {Wedding Day Skin Care 101}


If I'm like every other woman out there wanting to look and feel her best, I know I spent weeks if not months, praying and hoping that I wouldn't wake up on my wedding day with a crazy breakout on my face. I have fairly sensitive skin, have tried dozens of products and am prone to painful breakouts on my chin so I was sending up big prayers to the big house for a clear complexion that day. While prayers seemed to be the only thing I was relying on in the skin care department, hopefully you brides-to-be can benefit a little bit from these helpful tips a sweet reader recently sent me. Christina got hitched just a week before yours truly last September and here's her tried and true honest to goodness advice for looking your bridal best. Take it away, Christina and have a fabulous Tuesday, blogettes!

{To Get or Not to Get Facials} Try to schedule a few appointments to get facials done in the months leading up to your wedding. Facials are wonderfully relaxing, except for the extractions. The extractions were not as awful as I expected, not fun by any means but worth it! My skin never felt or looked better when my wedding day arrived. I scheduled my facials for after my work day so I didn't have to worry about not wearing make up for the rest of the evening. My (sensitive) skin was fine by the next morning. Be sure to research a reputable esthetician for your facials, too. Also, here is a link to the different types of facials available for you to pick from.

{Figure out a Regular Skincare Routine} From time to time, my skin decides to freak out and if you are stressed out in the weeks leading up to you big day, then there's just no telling what your skin will do. Since getting married, I am only going to get facials two to three times a year. In between appointments, I do however use my Clarisonic with Neutrogena's new Naturals face wash semi-weekly. This especially helps during the winter months when I need some new life breathed into my skin. For my daily routine, I use the Naturals face wash morning and night. I use one of Aveeno's daily moisturizers with an SPF 15-30 in the morning and Philosophy's Hope in a Jar and Bioelements eye cream (more for preventative reasons) at night. Here's an Aveeno product with SPF that's great.

{The Brows} Make sure your eyebrows aren't too thin! More often than not when women get their eyebrows waxed, the esthetician will overwax/overpluck leaving you with thin pathetic excuses for eyebrows. As a result you look years beyond your real age. For a national resource, check out your local Nordstrom to schedule an appointment at the Anastasia counter. Oh and if your face tends to get shiny as the day wears on, I highly recommend Make Up Forever's High Definition Microfinish Powder. This product does wonders!

Above photos of Christina on her wedding day by Amanda Wilcher. Gotta be a little jealous of her creamy complexion, right?

13 Lovely Comments:

A Crimson Kiss said...

I so clearly remember my first "teen" facial-I bled while the horrible Eastern European esthetician told me I had destroyed my skin forEVER! And my second "grown up" facial, when I practically fell asleep during the extraction and did fall asleep during a mask!

Rhi, your advice about finding a reputable esthetician couldn't be more spot on!

Kristen said...

Great advice! My skin 1 month from the wedding date was dry as all dry could be, and people called me out on it! Embarrassing! I cried and thought what to do to moisten my face without acne breakout. I maintained my regime and it all worked out. I think my body got ready for the wedding on its own because I was glowing and camera ready by the big day!

So many good points here!

Megan said...

Perfect advice, Rhi! That was my biggest concern the day of!!

Daily Cup of Couture said...

just fabulous advice!! Cannot wait to try it out on my big day!

xx
dCc

Unknown said...

Wonderful picture...That's so romantic!

Vicky

new post: click here:&
follow me

jacin {lovely little details} said...

very helpful post!

Anonymous said...

If only blogging was around when I got married, more importantly so your blog...such great advice that I could of done with at the time :)

Keri said...

Great tips! Thank you! I have to tell you- I look forward to each post and get a little giddy when I see you have published a new one. Thank you so much for your advice and tips!!! I have about 14 months to go until my wedding day and I need all the help I can get :)

Melina said...

I always struggle with skin care. The tips on Facials is really helpful for me! Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

so... i'm not getting married any time soon and this was still mega helpful.

so.... you're great.

xoxo

k said...

amazing tips! i need to get a better skincare regime...i just kind of do whatever, haha :)

Aleah + Nick Valley said...

This is great advice. I got a facial about a week-and-a-half prior to our wedding day. Same for my hair - we recommend nothing closer to the big day to our brides and their grooms!

Kirby Margaret said...

saturday will start the 5 month countdown for me. I scheduled a facial when I'm back home (where the wedding will be) but she is way preggers and is due to pop around that time, so it is a play by ear appointment. I'll have to look for a back up here in NYC so I can get a few in before the big day! thanks for the great tips! xo