Romantic Michigan Wedding by Julie Harmsen Photography {Lindsey + Ryan}


One of the things I first told myself when I started my business, was never to forget how important it is to maintain solid relationships with my clients, long after fulfilling my role as their wedding planner. I tell my clients, that as much as they are making a financial investment in me and instilling an enormous amount of faith in my services, I too make an extremely large emotional investment in them; and do my best to find that tricky balance between wedding professional and wow-that-girl-with-the-clip-board-really-does-super-duper-care-about-us-as-people-and-not-just-clients. I want to be there for them physically, and mentally, and the bottom line is, I love my clients. More than anything, I want them to shine on their big day.

Lindsey and Ryan came into my life not too long ago when I was asked to help with their wedding. I told Linds in our first few emails that she'd be getting married the day after my birthday; and she wrote back "Awesome! I'm getting married on my birthday." And just like that I knew there was something about Linds, something that I knew I was going to love long after the last guest would go home the night of her wedding. I knew it then and I really know it now but Lindsey and Ryan, you both make me feel so incredibly lucky to do what I do. Your wedding was absolutely magical, the most perfect reflection of your love and it was an honour being a part of it. Thank you for believing in me, for being so kind and most of all, for being you.

To check out Lindsey and Ryan's big day, head over the the Wedding Chicks blog where the sweet Amy and Jocey are showing off all of the eye candy today (thank you so much, girls!) And I must add none of this would have been possible without the talent and hard work of Julie from Julie Harmsen Photography. I'm not sure if you remember my little shriek fest via Twitter when I found out I'd be working with Julie, but the good news is she's like 32074x as sweet in real life as she is in my imagination. Thanks Julie for the fabulous evening and stunning images. I can't wait to see you in just a few short weeks! 

Shall we start the day off with some fabulously "something blue" Badgley Mischka heels? Why, of course! 


Signature drink: Haterade. Recipe: Equal parts lemonade, vodka, and sprite. Garnished with a candy lemon slice. Yes please.


Lindsey's Dad, Buck (who may I add is such a sweet Dad and totally told Linds to just relax and let me do my job :) was a pilot back in the day. The stickers, pins and buttons in the vintage suitcase actually belonged to him during his career. And the vintage suitcases that were used to house the newlywed's cards belonged to Lindsey's Mom when she first went off to college (uhm I think I needed a uHaul to get myself off to college in one piece.) And all of the postcards in the top suitcase were ones that Ryan had sent to Lindsey over the many years of their long distance relationship. I know, major cuteness right here.


Linds and her Dad, Buck were so sweet with one another all day. I definitely had tears in my eyes when they walked down the aisle together. Lindsey and Ryan decided not to do a First Look (ohmygosh I can't believe I am saying this but I think I am starting to lean more in favor of the traditional 'walk down the aisle for a first look' version) and instead had an hour and a half cocktail hour to give them plenty of time for photos and mingling with their guests. They really got the best of both worlds.


Making it official. And swooning over those to die for bridesmaid's bouquets against charcoal gray bridesmaid's frocks.


Belle, the floral dog. She did so well! And that fur coat? Belonged to Lindsey's Grandmother. Sweet, right?


I love this next little series. The light that afternoon was absolutely perfect and Lindsey's veil (which was the same one her Mother wore on her own wedding day years ago) made for some stunning photos. Linds and Ryan please get this one photo made into a canvas because it is far too fab-u-lous for words! And if you don't I may have to. Which could be a tad awkward.


Pink nails. And a bouquet sent down from the flower Gods. It's official. I really may have to get a canvas myself.


After a little cocktail party it was on to le dinner. Have I told you how much I adore those brass chandeliers at the Kent Country Club? Here let me tell you. I love, like love those brass chandeliers. They're so vintage chic and gave the room that little extra va va voom for dinner time. I sort of secretly wished that guests could take em home as favors at the end of the night (and by guests I really only mean the wedding planner). Gail from GVL Floral did all the stunning arrangements and various centerpieces; as always she was a complete pleasure to work with. Guests also got to take home the pussy willow, ranunculus, and rose adorned arrangements at the end of the night which was a huge hit. Believe me. I was there and I saw people's faces light up when I said they were ready for a new home! One minor adorable detail too; in lieu of favors the newlyweds made a donation to the Humane Society and then named each one of their guests tables after dogs that are up for adoption; I giggled setting up the table names when I came across names like "Skittles" and "Topanga." A little Boy Meets World, anyone?


Linds really wanted the cake set up to feel much like a console table of family photos that you'd find in someones home. Wedding photos of parents, siblings and great grandparents from both Lindsey and Ryan's sides of the family, sat on either side of the three-tiered spice cake that sat atop an old vintage table. Did I tell you all how tasty that cake was? Oh no? Well it was tasty my friends. I can never ever resist a piece of wedding cake. Ever.


And because no wedding is complete without a stuffed owl (inside joke) and a surprise birthday cake (obviously).


I also owe a ginormous thank you and hug to Kara, my sweet assistant who helped orchestrate such an incredibly smooth event. She was on top of everything and anything when I needed her and I cannot express how much it meant to me to have her there working with me; I am crossing my fingers that this was only the first of many weddings working with Kara. Cause let's face it, are we not the best stand-in bridesmaids you've ever seen?


Head over here and here today to check out the rest of the photos and a complete vendor list from Lindsey and Ryan's big day! 

32 Lovely Comments:

Brooke T said...

I am so in love with this wedding! Everything about it is gorgeous and I love the details especially the HATERADE :)

Stacie Shea Events said...

The guest book idea is so creative and we are starting to see more of those at weddings these days. Who doesn't love some artwork that you can then hang in your house.

Jenna Lee said...

I love the details on the floor. This is so beautiful I love it all. So curious about that owl!

brit said...

Just beautiful!

Lesley Rials Napper said...

I LOVE your hair color- you look so beautiful in that picture. I might just steal it to take to my hair dresser...LOVE!

Lisa said...

Awww! How perfect are those colors and details? Plus the bride and groom are such a gorgeous couple! I especially love the suitcase full of postcards...so sweet and sentimental. Great job, Rhi!! :)
Lisa

Laura *You Stir Me* said...

stunning, Rhi! You should be so stinking proud of pulling this gorgeous wedding together - the couple are just adorable and I love all the sentimental touches they wanted to incorporate into their big day. I pretty much squealed when I saw the shot of the "haterade" set up - the different colored napkins stacked up in one pile is the kind of detail I zoom right in on at events. Love everything. Congrats on all your success and helping another lovely couple with the most important day of their lives!

Unknown said...

You truly are "uber" talented! Wow. And you are a really good writer ... I enjoy your words as much as these stunning images!

Lauren@ "Happiness is..." said...

I want those blue shoes........yes please!

Anna Elder said...

i love love all the details - like the vinyl image on the ground! so cute. but i'm honestly still stuck on the haterade. as this is part of my everyday speak i am in love with it!! what a great idea. the bouquets are stunning as well. amazing job!!

julie harmsen said...

Can I please work with you for every wedding? seriously, you're so amazing!

Blair McLeod said...

um....

HELLO FREAKIN' GORGEOUS!!

living up to your name/brand!

way to go!!!

love you!

Michaela said...

Wow! You did so well gf! I love the little touches. And her dress is so darling with the bow on the side (:

Leah said...

This is beautiful. You did a wonderful job!

xo L.

Mrs A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liesl said...

I have been drawn to that Badgley Mischka style heel for some time now and how lovely they are they in blue...for something blue, as you said! Lovely wedding!

Liesl :)

Tonya Peterson said...

Love it! You are a doll and this wedding was gorg!

A Crimson Kiss said...

Rhi, this wedding is beyond gorgeous, and I think knowing how much you adore Lindsey and Ryan makes it that much more wonderful. And Haterade? Genius.

Shana said...

Well done you! I love the simplicity of this wedding and the special touches that are everywhere from the fur coat to the birds on the seating chart. Lovely lovely! Can you come help me finish planning my wedding please and thank you ;)

Hollie Ann said...

Simply Amazing! Michigan is a beautiful state this time of year!

Victoria said...

Um, hello everything beautiful!! From the Haterade(fab) to the golden, this wedding is beautiful.

{The Perfect Palette} said...

a lovely wedding, rhi! i really love how you pulled it all together. stunning details, beautiful couple..oh, and a perfect color palette to boot! xo, chrissy.

Something Old, Something New said...

what a sweet wedding! the details are beautiful and the colors look great together! Love those shoes too :)

Kelley @ Kelley Maria said...

You did an awesome job, Rhi! It looked like a beautiful wedding. I loved all of the fun details, which of course remind me of you! :) Nice work girl!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Romantic is right! What a charming affair! Gosh, I wish you'd been around for my wedding! Ha!

Kelly Hicks said...

Such a pretty wedding! Love the colors. And everything looked like it was worked out to the tiniest details like the bridesmaid nude nails. Love love.

Ashley said...

Rhi. this is my kind of wedding! you knocked it out of the park!! ranunculus are my favorite, hateraide - duh, fingerprint guest book, vintage suitcases, floor decal, yellows and oranges. PERFECTION. :)

Sandra Downie {The White Library} said...

Rhi this is AMAZING...you did a wonderful job, the couple is beautiful and you created a day that reflected them...the "haterade" OMG how delightfully cool is that! Your awesome!

Bri Bee said...

THIS. IS. GORGEOUS.

Bri Bee {BeeBeeBisous}

gfs said...

firstly. LOVE those shoes. Secondly. stunnign wedding Rhi - all those details - the flowers, cake table, wedding 'tree' and the gorgeous couple of course. I love it (and yes you both make cute bridesmaid stand ins!)

Katelyn James said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

You did such a great job! Love all of the details:-)